Monday, March 30, 2009

Pearce cementing place with new club Kingborough Lions United


Damien Pearce

Kingborough Lions United’s central defender, Damian Pearce, 21, is settling into his new club after signing from South Hobart.

The left-footed fullback has been moved into the centre of defence and is relishing the challenge.

And, there is plenty of work to do as the Lions have conceded seven goals in two games, although they have scored ten.

Pearce played with South Hobart from junior level and made the State under-19s when he was 18.

“I thought I’d have a change and so came down here to Kingborough,” he said after Saturday’s 6-3 win over New Town Eagles.

“I did play for Kingborough’s under-12s before moving to South Hobart, so I guess I’ve returned.

“I’m hoping to get a little bit more game time here, plus I live here and work here and there’s less travel.

“Since moving from left-back into the middle of the defence, I’ve got a lot to learn and a lot to do, but I’m enjoying it,” he said.

Pearce is studying for a Certificate IV in business and is employed by a local ship contractor.

He said it was good that the side scored plenty of goals against Eagles.

“It was good to get the goals in the back of the net,” he said.

“There’s still definitely room for improvement, though, and we’ve got to stop leaking silly goals.

“After that happens, we’ll be good, I reckon.

“I think, after the first goal, we started to lift.

“We were then able to play our game and we stopped them from dictating the play.”

Pearce’s brother, Trent, has also moved from South Hobart to Kingborough and is playing in central midfield in the reserves at the moment.

No comments: