Thursday, February 16, 2023

Interview with Clarence Zebras' women's coach, Chris Hey

Photo:  Clarence Zebras' new signings (L-R) are Bronte Gadon, Graciella Baez, Milly Baric, Monique Pinkiewicz, Sarah Bolonja, Natalie Leszczynski and Martina Manini. [Photo courtesy of Chris Hey] 

Walter Pless:  What persuaded you to go back to coaching at club level?

Chris Hey:  I was never going back to coach at club level, but, having worked with the State 16s female program and seeing the talent, I wanted to go back and bring the younger players through.

WP:  Why Clarence Zebras?

CH:   Clarence Zebras?  Familiar territory, and there were a number of the younger State players already at the club, so it was not going to be hard to settle in.  It was my intention to coach what was to be the Championship women's squad and work with Adam Powell, who at the time was the WSL coach.  [Powell has moved to New Town White Eagles]

WP:  Is it true you've cleaned out players and are starting afresh?

CH:  Every 2022 player at Clarence Zebras was welcome back, but some players were not happy with my return to the club and pursued other options.  And, the loss of Zara Dixon moving to Queensland.  We have lost a lot of experience, but I am also excited with players who stayed and the fresh faces to our group for 2023.

We are also looking strong in the youth department of the club.

Photo:  Chris Hey as a coach at Tilford Zebras in 2015. [PlessPix]  

WP:  What is your aim at Clarence Zebras?

CH:  My aim is simply to build a strong welcoming and highly competitive environment and culture at the club that people will want to come to.  To develop what is a very young group of players, with that sprinkling of experience, and build success for the future.  This season will be about being competitive in every game we play.  Players need to enjoy playing.

WP:  Are you disappointed there are only four clubs in the Summer Cup?  Does it worry you?

CH:  I am a strong believer in maintaining a State-wide league for women.  It is disappointing there are only four teams in the Summer Cup and, maybe in the future, a structure similar to the NPL Summer cup could be considered.

WP:  If Football Tasmania are trying to promote women's football, how can this be allowed to happen?

CH:  I think Football Tasmania get hammered from pillar to post as you will never be able to please everyone.  I haven't agreed myself with every decision that has come out of Grove Road and, maybe, when I finally stop coaching I may consider going on the board, but for now I am a coach.  A coach of what I see as a talented group of females, who are motivated to train and learn, so hopefully what I am trying to pass on is right and some of it sinks in.  This group of ladies has re-motivated me as a coach, so I can't wait for Sunday [Opening round of Women’s Summer Cup] 

No comments: