Monday, April 29, 2024

Two southern and two northern sides qualify for the Lakoseljac Cup semi-finals

Photo:  Knights' Stefan Cordwell takes on South East United's Declan Brown. [PlessPix] 

Two northern and two southern teams are through to the semi-finals of the 2024 Lakoseljac Cup after the weekend’s quarterfinals.

Holders Devonport City, Riverside Olympic, Glenorchy Knights and Kingborough Lions United will await their fate when the semi-final draw is conducted on Wednesday.

Devonport beat second-tier Hobart City 4-0 away at Sandown Park, scoring twice in each half.

Brody Denehey put the visitors ahead in the 8th minute and Charles Bidwell made it 2-0 at the break with a goal in the 28th minute.

Declan Zasadny made it 3-0 6 minutes after the resumption, while Riku Ichimura grabbed the fourth 9 minutes from the end.

The scoreline was respectable for Hobart City, who are not exactly setting the world on fire in the Southern Championship.

Photo:  Hobart City's Samuel Jones (left) passes the ball back to his keeper as Devonport's Riki Ichimura moves in. [PlessPix] 

Riverside Olympic threw their league form away in beating Clarence Zebras 5-2 away at Wentworth Park.

Emanuel Farias fired Riverside ahead in the 17th minute and Henry Cook made it 2-0 on the stroke of half-time.

Goals by Ryan Cook and Samuel Cummins in the 74th and 81st minutes, respectively, put the home side level, but disaster struck in the final 8 minutes.

Austin Marshall restored Riverside’s lead in the 82nd minute and Farias completed his brace 2 minutes later to out the visitors 4-2 ahead.

Gediminas Krusa added the fifth in the 3rd minute of stoppage time to complete Clarence Zebras’ downfall.

Photo:  Knights' Dimitris Theodorou crosses the ball as South East United's Jacob Sartori is too late to intervene. [PlessPix] 

Southern Championship outfit South East United were brought down to earth by NPL Tasmania leaders Glenorchy Knights, who won 7-0 at home at KGV Park.

Joshua Redfearn opened the scoring for Knights in the 11th minute and went on to score four goals in total.  After netting the opener, he added to his tally in the 47th, 80th and 84th minutes.

Riley Dillon, Stefan Cordwell and Thomas Walpole were Knights’ other marksmen.

The visitors were lucky not to concede more as the Knights almost demolished the woodwork on occasion with their powerful shooting.

Kingborough Lions United downed Launceston City 2-1 in the remaining quarterfinal at Lightwood Park.

Photo:  Launceston City's William Humphrey sends Lions keeper Masatoshi Kawano the wrong way from the spot. [PlessPix] 

This game was similar in many ways to the league meeting between the sides a few weeks ago.

Just as then, City took the lead through a penalty converted by William Humphrey.  And, just as last time, the spot-kick was awarded in the first half for Eli Luttmer’s foul on Thierry Swaby.

This meeting, two second-half goals by Kobe Kemp sealed the win for the Lions.

Kemp was unlucky not to net a hat-trick when his superb first-time right-footed volley almost shattered the right-hand goalpost.

Photo:  Kingborough brothers Alfred and Matt Hess in action in the game against Launceston City. [PlessPix]

No comments: