Sunday, May 10, 2009

The Cup-holders are bundled out

Milan Lakoseljac Memorial Trophy, South Hobart, Saturday, 9 May 2009

South Hobart 0
Glenorchy Knights 1 (Clay 51)

HT: 0-0 Att: 126 Ref: K Barker

South Hobart: Kruijver (Moncur 5) - Cooper (Pennicott 87), Ludford, Heerey, Scott - Abbott, Upton, Ladic, Eaves - Ross (Otte 64), Kanakaris [Substitute not used: Bladel] [Coach: Ken Morton]

Glenorchy Knights: Tatnell - Wiggins, Holmes, Green, Lawler - Clay, Dzelalija (Roberts 62), Marsh, Sherman (Grundy 75) - Smith (Fielding 88), Koroma [Substitute not used: Vavoulas] [Coach: N Harrison]

South Hobart, the cup holders, are out of the tournament, as are Devonport City, last season’s losing cup finalists.

South Hobart suffered a major blow when they lost goalkeeper Sam Kruijver after just five minutes.

Kruijver went for a high ball with Knights striker Corey Smith and both players crashed heavily to the ground.

Kruijver suffered a dislocated shoulder and was carried off on a stretcher and replaced by the experienced Mark Moncur.

Knights almost made the most of confusion in the South defence in the 11th minute when the ball ricocheted off a defender and fell to Amadu Koroma, but he fired just wide.

Two minutes later, South had the chance of the match. Ricki Eaves played Kostas Kanakaris through the defence on the left of the box, but the striker, with only the goalkeeper to beat, hit the ball over the bar with the outside of his right foot when a left-footed shot must have been more effective.

Having left-footed players is a bonus and neither side used theirs to good effect.

David Abbott was used on the right by South, the aim being for him to cut inside and shoot. But, he rarely did this and usually got caught up in tangle of legs before he could get in a shot.

The Knights used Tom Sherman wide on the left of midfield, but he was often forced to defend.

Their other left-footer, Will Roberts, was left on the bench until an hour had gone. He and Sherman together on the left, possibly as striker and midfielder, might have paid greater dividends.

In the 20th minute, a shot by Smith bounced just short of Moncur and the keeper did well to smother the ball.

In the next minute, Smith had two excellent chances, but shot narrowly wide on both occasions.

South’s response came with Liam Scott attacking in the 27th minute but placing his effort straight at goalkeeper Alex Tatnell.

Knights were still dangerous, however, and in the 31st minute, Koroma beat Hugh Ludford and David Cooper on the left and cut inside before forcing Moncur to save and concede a corner.

Six minutes after the resumption, Smith found a way down the left and managed to get a cross to the far side of the box, despite the close attentions of Josh Heerey.

Jade Clay met the ball and drove a firm shot at goal. Mocur managed to party the shot and the ball came back to Clay, who this time, beat Moncur at the near post to give the Knights the lead.

It was mostly South Hobart after that and the Knights were confined largely to rearguard action, with only an occasional counter-attack.

In the 57th minute, a dangerous cross from the right by Jonathon Ladic was just pushed wide by Tatnell before the on-rushing Julius Ross could get his head to it.

South’s best chance of the half came in the 69th minute when Gary Upton’s half-volley arrowed towards goal but just missed the far top left-hand corner of the net.

In the 72nd minute, Heerey shot wide after a corner.

Four minutes later, Cooper’s header at the far post following a corner was blocked on the line by the Knights defenders, while a minute later, Kanakaris blazed wide of the target.

Knights made a late substitution, bringing on Josh Fielding in place of Corey Smith to add some experience and composure in the closing seconds, and they held on for a famous victory in a competition named after one of their greats of the past.

When coach Eamonn Kelly returns, the pressure will be on him to maintain the status quo in terms of team selection as this side has now won two in a row.


  • South Hobart coach, Ken Morton, said:

“From my perspective, we didn’t play with any composure or any control today.

“We expected Knights to get at us and attack us high up the field. They did that and I thought we were a bit sloppy today.

“We dominated the game in terms of possession, but possession doesn’t win football matches.

“Goals win football matches and we didn’t have any strikes at goal, or not enough, to test the keeper.

“On this type of ground, low shots are going to be skidding, coming back off the keeper and things like that.

“We just didn’t get enough bodies in the box to warrant to win it.

“Good luck to Glenorchy Knights. They’ve played well, with a good spirit, and I wish them well in the competition.”

  • Glenorchy Knights coach, Nick Harrison, said:

“Nil-nil at half time, but I think in the first half we had three or four good chances and they had the one chance.

“Thoroughly deserved. I’m a bit speechless actually.

“The conditions suited us. They were a bit of a leveller.

“South are a good side on a good pitch, so today’s weather probably favoured us more for a battle.

“Absolutely thrilled. Well done the lads.”


16 Goal Attempts 14
7 Shots on Target 6
12 Corners 4
10 Fouls Committed 10
3 Off-Sides 1
0 Yellow Cards 3 (Smith 34, Dzelalija 35, Grundy 79)
0 Red Cards 0

South Hobart:

Ross 1 1
Kanakaris 2 0
Ladic 2 0
Scott 2 2
Upton 2 1
Cooper 2 1
Eaves 1 0
Abbott 3 2
Heerey 1 0

Glenorchy Knights:

Smith 4 2
Koroma 2 1
Marsh 2 0
Clay 3 2
Holmes 1 0
Wiggins 1 0
Fielding 1 1

1 comment:

Dippastar said...

well done boys, a great win. corey smith caused some trouble up front. he's got some nice skills. Same with Armadu. but as for south, another injury... reckon it'l cost them the season....