Saturday, September 5, 2009

Clarence and Metro the winners today

Clarence United became the fourth southern team to qualify for the semi-finals of the intrastate top-four series when they beat Northern Rangers 5-4 in a penalty shoot-out at Ulverstone today.

The sides were level at 2-2 after normal time and after extra-time.

Sam McIntyre could have won the match for Clarence three minutes before the end of extra-time, but he missed a penalty.

Former Clarence player Paul Bremner put Rangers ahead in the 31st minute when the Clarence defence blocked Derek Schipper’s free-kick and the ball rebounded to the alert Bremner.

McIntyre equalised for Clarence in the 51st minute from 12 metres out after an accurate cross from Ben Hamlett.

Andrew Nicholson restored Rangers’ lead on the hour, but substitute Andy Barron took the game into extra-time when he scrambled home another Clarence equaliser three minutes into stoppage time.

In the penalty shoot-out, Clarence netted through McIntyre, Hamlett, Luke Cripps, Barron and Luke Huigsloot, while Matt Lewis had his spot-kick saved, and when asked to retake it by the referee because of an infringement by Rangers, his second effort was also saved by keeper Marshall Pooley.

Thataetsile Kakadumane, Todd Hingston, Schipper and Marshall Pooley scored with their penalties for Rangers, but Clarence keeper Michael Moschogianis saved Bremner’s effort.

Clarence play Tilford Zebras and South Hobart take on Glenorchy Knights in next weekend’s all-southern semi-finals.

Metro regained top spot on the Division One ladder with a 3-1 away win over fifth-placed Hobart United at Pontville tonight.

Metro are now a point ahead of second-placed Taroona and both sides have one game remaining - both against Hobart United.

A penalty by Ricky Orr gave Metro a 1-0 lead at the break, and he scored again just after the interval with a glancing header from Grant Malcolm’s free-kick.

A free-kick by Jackie Kuel sailed into the top corner of the Metro net in the 59th minute to reduce the arrears, but a goal by Colin Sweeney in the 64th minute made it 3-1 for the visitors.

No comments: