Saturday, June 5, 2010

Zebras and Knights draw and please leaders South Hobart

Photos (Top to Bottom): Knights coach Nick Harrison coaches both the reserves and seniors, which is a huge task for one man; Match officials (L-R), assistant referee Alastair Cooke, referee Kim Barker, assistant referee Daniel Lineen; Zebras and Knights observe a minute's silence in memory of Tasmania's Australian international Alistair Rattray, who passed away during the week; Referee Kim Barker throws the ball to the Knights so that they can kick off the game, while captain Josh Fielding thinks it's all a bit of a yawn; Jade Clay covered every square centimetre of the pitch in the service of the Knights; Henry Fagg (left) gets a pass away before the Knights' Corey Smith can intercept; Knights defender Alex Holmes clears the danger with a header; Zebras coach Romeo Frediani said a point is better than none; Knights keeper Ben Peter made some outstanding saves; Zebras keeper Jason Voss organises his defence at a corner; Zebras' Ben Crosswell on the run against Knights' Lindsay Millington; Knights' Alex Holmes was a powerhouse in the air; Knights' captain Josh Fielding prepares to take on the Zebras' Ricky Self [PlessPix]

Forestry Tasmania Southern Premier League (KGV Park, Friday, 4 June 2010)


Tilford Zebras 1 (R Self 16)

Glenorchy Knights 1 (J Hope 81)

HT: 1-0 Att: 120 Ref: K Barker

Tilford Zebras: Voss - Fagg, Muller, Telega, K Engels - Walsh, Self, Ladic, Welch - Crosswell, D Lapolla (Hall 53) [Substitutes not used: Cox, Macgregor, Kaden] [Coach: Romeo Frediani]

Glenorchy Knights: Peter - Millington (Hope 51), Grundy, Holmes, J Huigsloot - Barabara, Marsh, Fielding, Smith, Clay - Koroma [Substitutes not used: Green, Kamba, Grainger] [Coach: Nick Harrison]


South Hobart coach Ken Morton was one of the happiest spectators at this match. The 1-1 draw ensured his team stayed 10 points ahead of second-placed Tilford Zebras and 13 points in front of third-placed Glenorchy Knights and with a game against seventh-placed Taroona in hand. Knights also have a game against Taroona in hand.

Knights adopted a cautious approach in the first half, using Amadu Koroma as a lone striker and Corey Smith in midfield. Jacob Huigsloot and Jade Clay ranged freely down the left, each covering for the other whenever one pushed forward.

Knights switched fullbacks during the half, with Huigsloot eventually moving to the right and Lindsay Millington coming across to the left. Whether this balanced the ship or not was open to question as Zebras used the width of the park to launch their dangerous attacks down both flanks.

Zebras could have been far more adventurous. They often had four defenders back marking the Knights’ solitary striker. They could easily have left two to mark Koroma and pushed two defenders into midfield to really press their opponents higher up the field.

Things changed in the second half for both sides. Knights pushed Smith and substitute James Hope up front and Koroma dropped into midfield. The Zebras dropped Ben Crosswell deeper and used Dwayne Walsh as an out-and-out striker.

Neither side was able to string together many passes and both teams gave the ball away needlessly.

The two keepers both made several fine saves. The Knights’ Ben Peter was at his best to deny Crosswell and Henry Fagg, while the Zebras’ Jason Voss kept out efforts from Fielding and Smith.

There were some bad misses by both sides. Clay could have given the Knights an early lead, while later he fired into the side-netting from a good position. And, he might also have snatched a winner in the final seconds but just failed to reach Smith’s left-wing cross to the far post after Fielding’s pass had unlocked the Zebras defence. Smith and Alex Holmes missed in quick succession with headers after a corner by Clay on the quarter-hour.

Huigsloot had a shot blocked by Jonathon Ladic for a corner midway through the second half, while Jackson Marsh had a terrific free-kick deflected for a corner, from which Fielding had his shot saved by Voss.

Walsh had an effort blocked by Huigsloot, who conceded a fruitless corner, and he was later centimetres away from scoring with a fine shot.

The final minutes were frenetic. Knights went close in a counter-attack begun by Holmes and continued by Fielding, who put Smith clean through, but Voss came out and closed the angle, forcing the Knights striker to shoot wide.

Grundy did well to block Crosswell, who had been put in with a chance by Fagg’s pass, while in stoppage time, a poor clearance by Peter with his knee landed at Crosswell’s feet, but he lobbed wide of an open goal.

Self headed the Zebras into the lead in the 16th minute following a corner from the right by Walsh and a cross back into the middle from the left by Jayden Welch.

Knights’ equaliser came 9 minutes from the end after a glorious attack down the left. Koroma put Smith away down the line and his cross was missed by Koroma, who had wasted no time in rushing forward, but substitute Hope was unmarked and scored from close range.


· Tilford Zebras coach, Romeo Frediani, said:

“The first half, I think, was great. We controlled most of the first half and knocked the ball around quite well.

“We were patient and put one away and could probably have had a few more.

“In the second half, they came out and there were two sides on the park and not just one.

“They put a bit of pressure on us and they put one away, so we finished with a draw.

“But, one point is better than none.”

· Glenorchy Knights coach, Nick Harrison, said:

“Disappointed, to be honest. It was the same as last week.

“We’ve taken one of a possible six points.

“The good sign is that the players were walking off disappointed to get only a point.

“Overall, a much better performance and, hopefully, we’ll move on now and show that the season isn’t quite over yet.”


Anonymous said...

Thought the refs did a good job overall last night. Thanks guys, keep up the good work...

Anonymous said...

Knights and Zebras both had good chances to get the 3pts but some excellent saves from Voss and Peter shared the pts.

Good entertaining game at KGV.

Anonymous said...

seriously if you read this report you will not get any sort of picture of the game? were you watching walter?

Anonymous said...

Quality game.

Also, this is worth looking at while Walter is away.

Anonymous said...

I dont think there report was to bad at all. Quality Walter. However, misplaced passes? i thought it was an attacking, flowing game personally. Sure miss you when you leave for 5 weeks bud.

The refs were superb. One linesman in particular looked worrying though. Kim was great in the middle.

Anonymous said...

Looks like FFT are finally trying to do more for the game... Not a bad website actually

Anonymous said...

except it won't be up to date!