Friday, April 26, 2019

Warriors beat Knights yet again but suffer some collateral damage

Photo:  Rowan Heggie scored with an overhead scissors or bicycle kick to bring the game to life [PlessPix]

(NPL Tasmania, North Hobart Oval, Thursday, 25 April 2019)

Glenorchy Knights 1 (R Heggie 56)
Olympia Warriors 3 (J N’Koso 57, 94, J Ryan 72)

HT:  0-0   Att:  800   Ref:  C White

Glenorchy Knights:  Hart  -  Toghill, Harrison, Kadisha (Hallard 73), James  -  Griffin (Nowicki 46), Gutierrez Cavez, D Brown  -  Naden, Heggie, Stuart  (Subs not used:  Marney, Warrener, Le Rossignol)

Olympia Warriors:  McDonald  -  Vendermey, Hill, Stevens, Leaman  -  Kurtz, Ladic, Mearns (Cook 84)  -  Thompson (Wadawau 46) Ryan (Mulungula 88), N’Koso  (Subs not used:  Randall, Allan)

Photo:  Olympia's Bay Kurtz saves the day with a tackle on Knights' Declan Brown, who had a quiet game and was not his usual dangerous self  [PlessPix]

There was little to excite the fans in a dull first-half of this NPL Tasmania meeting between two sides that have met frequently and know each other well.

It was less than a week ago that Olympia won their Lakoseljac Cup game 1-0 at Warrior Park.

It should have been a better game and Joffrey N’Koso might have had a hat-trick in the opening 45 minutes.  He made the right runs and positioned himself well, but he obviously had an aversion to shooting and chose instead to pass the ball into the middle, where nothing happened.

Photo:  Olympia's Joffrey N'Koso in a battle for possession with Knights' Jake Stuart (right) and Callen Griffin [PlessPix]

The game sparked to life in the 56th minute when Rowan Heggie scored with a spectacular overhead kick at the far post following a corner.

The Knights’ lead lasted barely a minute as N’Koso equalised.  He must have changed into his shooting boots at half-time.  He gained possession on the right and shrugged off a half-hearted challenge from Knights’ skipper Tyler Harrison before cutting inside and scoring at the near post.  It was reminiscent of Friday night, when Nick Mearns had won the game for Olympia with another near-post shot that beat keeper Lachan Hart.  The young keeper will need to pay more attention to his near post in future.

Jack Ryan, who had had an ordinary game until then, put Olympia ahead in the 72nd minute and the Knights looked finished.

Photo:  Lucas Hill leaps on top of the gathering of team-mates to celebrate an Olympia goal [PlessPix]

By the time N’Koso scored Olympia’s third in the 4th minute of stoppage time, Knights were finished.

They had tried to shore up the defence by bringing on George Hallard in place of Teddy Kadisha just after Ryan’s goal had put Olympia 2-1 ahead, but the horse had bolted by then.

Knights’ import Diego Gutierrez Chavez had little impact, and although Nick Naden threatened at times, the Olympia defence was generally in control.

Photo:  Olympia's Joffrey N'Koso demonstrates his agility while under pressure from Knights' Mathias Toghill [PlessPix]

Knights brought on Mathew Nowicki at the interval and, although he represented a physical presence and did some clever little flicks, his opportunities were limited.

Olympia’s Nick Mearns was my man-of-the-match.  He was everywhere and imposed his presence on the game.  He rose to the occasion, in fact, knowing he had to do more than usual because of the absence of team-mate and playmaker, the suspended Jordan Scott.

Olympia’s Jonathon Mulungula had a miserable afternoon.  He came on with just two minutes of normal time remaining.  He then participated in the post-match 100m sprint, which was an Anzac Day feature, and tore a hamstring.  I’d be surprised if he’s not of action for a month.

Photo:  Olympia's Jonathon Mulungula, with his right hamstring heavily bandaged  [PlessPix]

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Olympia were woeful but got three points which matters.But Jordan Scott's there main man .Jack seems to have lost his sharpness