Monday, May 9, 2022

Devonport on course to retain Lakoseljac Cup

Photo:  Charles Bidwell (No.12) congratulates Roberto Fernandez Garrido after his equaliser just before half-time. [PlessPix] 

(Lakoselac Cup Quarterfinal, KGV Park, Saturday, 7 May 2022)

Glenorchy Knights 2 (E Luttmer, 10, E Castaneda 66)

Devonport Strikers 4 (R Garrido 40, 64, H Andrews 46, B Denehey 56)

HT:  1-1   Att:  120   Ref:  B Kopra

Glenorchy Knights:  Murfett  -  Gorrie, Harrison, Luttmer, Bowman  -  Castaneda, Muller, Naden (Goodluck 87), Schmidt  -  Vincent, Walpole (Yost 80)  (Subs not used:  M Brkic, Dzalakowski, Richardson)

Devonport Strikers:  Smith  -  Parke, Mulraney, Barton  -  Moradi, Andrews (Lanau-Atkinson 89), C Bidwell, Last (Kidmas 65)  -  Dulleh (Mohammadi 80), Garrido, Denehey (Reynolds 89) (Sub not used:  M Reissig)

Photo:  Devonport's Brody Denehey shepherds the ball over the line after Roberto Fernandez-Garrido's shot. [PlessPix] 

Devonport Strikers, the holders of the Lakoseljac Cup, earned a semi-final place by beating major rival Glenorchy Knights 4-2 in Saturday’s quarterfinal at a wet and windswept KGV Park.

The Strikers were without Joel Stone and Dominic Smith because of illness.

Knights had Austin Yost back on the bench after missing a couple of weeks with a damaged shoulder.

Ultimately, the Knights failed to contain Roberto Fernandez Garrido and the Spaniard scored twice.  He could easily have had a hat-trick, but with a good shooting chance presented to him in the second half, he unselfishly chose to pass to a team-mate, who missed.

Devonport, with the wind behind them, had the better of the opening minutes, but it was Knights who took the lead with a well-worked free-kick wide on the right in the 10th minute.

Photo:  A tangle between Knights' Kyle Vincent and Devonport's Kieran Mulraney on the left of the box led to penalty claims. [PlessPix]  

Eduardo Castaneda, instead of crossing the ball into the penalty area as everyone expected, played the ball wide for the onrushing Adam Gorrie.  He took the ball almost to the byline and got in a low cross towards the near post, where Eli Luttmer attempted a first-time shot.  The ball was blocked by a defender but fell for Luttmer to shoot into the far corner of the net.

Photo:  Eli Luttmer is obscured as he is mobbed by his team-mates after he put Knights ahead against Devonport. [PlessPix] 

Devonport ignored the set-back and continued to attack.  They were unlucky not to earn a penalty when Kyle Vincent appeared to hinder and then bring down Kieran Mulraney on the left-hand side of the penalty area after a free-kick from deep on the right.

Devonport also had the ball in the net but the 'goal' was disallowed as Denehey was adjudged to have fouled the goalkeeper. 

Photo:  Brody Denehey was adjudged to have fouled goalkeeper Reet Murfett and the 'gpal' was disallowed. [PlessPix] 

In the 17th minute, Taylor Last took a free-kick well from deep on the left and, with everyone expecting him to cross to the far post, he smashed the ball against the crossbar and back into play with Knights keeper Reef Murfett beaten.

Jordan Muller appeared to have been assigned to mark Garrido early on, but he was nowhere to be seen when the Spaniard netted the equaliser just before the interval.  Garrido gained possession inside the box on the left from Toby Barton’s accurate pass and he beat Eli Luttmer, Gorrie and Jack Bowman in a very tight situation before rolling the ball from an acute angle past keeper Murfett and inside the far right-hand post.

The second half was not a minute old when Devonport increased their lead through quick, direct football.  Ali Dulleh gained possession on the left after a long clearance from defence and played in Henry Andrews, who advanced on goal and fired past Murfett with not a defender in sight.

Photo:  Henry Andrews (right) is congratulated by his Devonport team-mates after putting his side in front. [PlessPix]  

Brody Denehey added the third in the 56th minute when set up by Garrido, who collected a throw-in from the left and fed his team-mate with a quick square pass.

Garrido added the fourth in the 64th minute with a firm drive to ensure a semi-final place.

Denehey had the ball in the net again later, but it was disallowed for off-side.

Knights pulled a goal back through Castaneda, who curled home a magnificent shot from just outside the box after a Knights’ short corner and a pass inside by substitute Austin Yost.

But, Devonport deserved to go through to the semi-finals after this thoroughly professional display.

It must have been a hugely disappointing result for the Knights.  This trophy is synonymous with the Knights and they won’t be lifting it this year.

Photo:  Referee Brenton Kopra cautions Knights' Adam Gorrie, who is a former Devonport player. [PlessPix]
Photo:  Devonport coach Tommy Ballantyne issues instructions. [PlessPix]


Anonymous said...

Knights lol

Phil Owen said...

Ripper game, ripper result. The number of times Devonport make that road trip each year must be taxing physically and mentally but they sure know how to take it in their stride. Nearly as good a game that Juventus and Croatia used to put on 50 years ago imho! Lol

Good old days said...

Attendance 120?
These are the two best teams in the state, right?

Good old days said...

Phil Owen, nowhere near as good a game as the likes of you, Johnny Genovese, Ronnie di Felice, Dominic Rizzolo and my old man at Croatia used to put on 50 years ago.

Anonymous said...

Lets add to this list no particular order:


Dilba Brothers




D Smith



And I could go on and on

Phil Owen, nowhere near as good a game as the likes of you, Johnny Genovese, Ronnie di Felice, Dominic Rizzolo and my old man at Croatia used to put on 50 years ago.

Anonymous said...

Did you see the weather cobber

Anonymous said...

Was it raining in the grandstand?

Anonymous said...

Actually the rain was coming in sideways so yes. I was there champ