Thursday, March 23, 2023

Southern Men's Championship should be close and exciting this season

Photo:  The referee, Mr Stratos Plomaritis, keeps a close eye on things. [PlessPix] 

Metro were unlucky to lose 2-1 to Hobart United in last Friday’s Southern Championship season opener at KGV Park.

In fact, neither side deserved to lose in what wasa fast, open and exciting match.

The new lights were being used for the first time, but I found some aspects disappointing.

The creek-side of the pitch seemed to be in shadow when looking from the grandstand, while other areas of the pitch were certainly well lit.

I found out later that the lights were only at half-power, which explains things.

Apparently, the light will only be at full power (500 Lux) for NPL games.

I would venture to say there could be an occupational health and safety issue involved here and Football Tasmania needs to have a look at this.

Photo:  Metro's Danny Cowen working hard to shake off an opponent. [PlessPix] 

Metro started strongly and Brady Penneyston had a chance after just 5 minutes but shot tamely.

That was a case of letting Hobart United off the hppk because 3 minutes later they took the lead.

An under-hit back-pass by a Metro defender allowed United’s John Buga to gain possession and he was down the left flank and into the penalty area in a flash before beating Metro keeper Jamie Cook with a curling shot inside the far right-hand post.

Buga again attacked dangerously 2 minutes later but slipped on the artificial turf and fell over and the chance went begging.

Metro struck back on the quarter-hour and after a short corner, defender Matthew Robb hit a rising shot against the Hobart United crossbar.

In the 31st minute, Penneyston was through on goal in a one-on-one with the United keeper, who saved superbly to concede a fruitless corner.

Hobart United had one more chance before the break but must have been content to go in with a 1-0 lead.

Photo:  Taroona's Ben Schaap in control against Hobart City Beachside. [PlessPix] 

The second half opened with Metro’s Andrew Robb heading over from a right-wing cross to let United off the hook.

Just short of the hour-mark, Andrew Robb forced United keeper Hammad Shabbir to a brilliant save.  He dived to his right to beat out the shot and concede a corner.

Metro drew level in the 76th minute when Danny Cowen punished the United defence for some slack defending at a corner.

United regained the lead, however, 4 minutes later through a penalty, awarded when Brice Rowlandson brought down Solomon Lagu in full flight on the right of the penalty area.  Buga completed his brace by converting the spot-kick to give United a 2-1 victory.  Rowland was sent off for his troubles.

Taroona made light work of Hobart City Beachside with a 4-0 win at home at Kelevdon Park.

Photo:  It's good to see referee Mr Craig Phillips still in action.  He was in charge of the Taroona versus Hobart City Beachside game. [PlessPix] 

Fergus Bridge gave them a 1-0 lead on the half-hour, while Noah Gardner (55th), Tom Roberts (60th) and Fabian Natoloi (75th) completed the convincing win.

Olympia Warriors suffered a set-back when they were held to a 2-2 draw away to South East United at Pembroke Park in Sorell.

Callum Brown’s opener for South East United in the 38th minute was cancelled out by Joel Sammut 2 minutes before the interval.

Brown struck again second before the half-time whistle to give the home side a 2-1 edge at the break.

Photo:  Taroona goalkeeper Isaac Scott beats Hobart City Beachside's Jackson Khasif to the ball. [PlessPix] 

It took a late goal by Tyson Barrett to salvage a point for the visitors.

University squeezed home 3-2 against South Hobart at Olinda Grove.

George Hallard’s own-goal in the opening minute gave South Hobart the lead, while Josiah Otto made it 2-0 midway through the first half.

Bailey Wells reduced the arrears for University in the 39th minute before Gus Rumney made it all square on the hour.

Declan Graham netted the winner for University 4 minutes before the end.

Photo:  The men in charge at Metro  -  senior coach Chris Chalker (right) and his assistant, Scott Horne.  Chalker announced the signing of Cody Snell this week.  [PlessPix]


Anonymous said...

What a joke the lights should be a 100 percent for all game FFT wide open to a law suit if not crazy .

Anonymous said...

THE LIGHTS yet again FFT have no idea and it proves the game is at the lowest point it has ever being in .

Anonymous said...

So the lights only at full strength for NPL to bad for the rest explain that to someone who suffers a injury because of poor lighting .

Anonymous said...


Anonymous said...

Just shows the disdainful way FFT treat everyone else if your not NPL. Total disgrace by this absolute clown show at Grove Rd.

Anonymous said...

Or it could just be the club chose that light setting

Anonymous said...

Oh yeah ! Clubs of course are going to choose to use less lighting to play at night.

Anonymous said...


Anonymous said...

Silly comment...of course it's FFT's fault. It would never be the clubs.

Anonymous said...

Agreed! All players in every league, deserve equal access. Would not want to be FFT if someone was to get injured due to poor lighting!