Saturday, February 21, 2009

Summary of Summer Cup (Premier League section)

Clarence United have one foot in the Premier League section Summer Cup final after beating Glenorchy Knights 2-1 in a Group A match at South Hobart this afternoon.

Clarence top the group with two wins from two outings and just need a draw against bottom side University next week to reach the final.

Strikers Luke Cripps and Ben Hamlett caused Knights headaches galore, while Knights’ attacks kept breaking down in the final third.

Jacob Huigsloot headed Clarence in front from Hamlett’s cross in the first half, while Cripps headed the second from Hamlett’s corner just after the break.

Amadu Koroma pulled a goal back for the Knights two minutes from the end with a powerful header after a great build-up involving Josh Fielding and Cosmos Paite.

In the other Group A match, Kingborough Lions United and University drew 1-1, but the Lions won the marathon penalty shoot-out 10-9 to earn the bonus point.

Matthew Besley gave University a 1-0 lead at the break, but a marvellous strike by Marcus Bremner made it 1-1.

The successful penalty takers for the Lions were: Michael Palmer, Marcello Marchioli, Joel Schuth, Bremner, Brett Andrews, Ryan Bevan, Damien Pearce, Marc Iseli, Tom McDonald and Michael Wells.

Oliver Venettacci, Andy Wilson, Matthew Besley, Brook Teale, James Wilkinson, Johnathon Merry, John Wilson, Joseph Summers and David Procter netted for University, but Mitch Gooch blazed the last spot-kick high over the bar.

South Hobart slipped up in Group B when it was held to a 1-1 draw by Hobart Zebras, but South won the penalty shoot-out 6-5.

Josh Thorpe had a first-half penalty saved by South’s Mark Moncur, while Greg Downes put South ahead midway through the second half.

A brilliant strike by Ricky Self made it 1-1, but South twice hit the woodwork before the end - through Matthew Brown and Downes.

In the penalty shoot-out, Jonathon Ladic, Hugh Ludford, Downes, Liam Scott, David Cooper and Josh Heerey all scored for South Hobart, while for Zebras, Thorpe, Aaron Brazendale, Ben Crosswell, Henry Fagg and Andrew Telega were on target.

South Hobart's Gary Upton hit the crossbar with his effort, but Moncur saved from Dwayne Walsh and Daniel Lapolla to give South Hobart victory and the bonus point.

A first-half penalty by Alexander Leszczynski gave New Town Eagles a 1-0 win over Hobart Olympic.

Eagles finished the game with just nine players after Richard DeLara and Chris Wass were both sent off after collecting second yellow cards.

[Detailed match reports to follow as soon as possible.]

No comments: