Saturday, February 28, 2009

Tilford Zebras produce miracle to qualify for Summer Cup Final

Clarence United will meet Hobart Zebras on 9 March in the final of the Premier League section of the Summer Cup competition after both sides won their last group-stage matches.

Clarence easily accounted for University 3-0 at KGV Park on Friday night, while Zebras produced their annual miracle by beating New Town Eagles 6-0 at South Hobart on Saturday.

Zebras earned their place in the final by virtue of having scored one goal more than South Hobart (8 as against 7), both sides having identical goal-differences (plus 6).

South Hobart’s downfall was their 0-0 draw with Hobart Olympic at KGV Park on Friday night and their subsequent 4-2 loss in the penalty shoot-out.

It was the second season in a row that Zebras have squeezed into the final in the most unlikely way.

Zebras squandered several good chances in the opening minutes and then survived two close calls by Eagles, who took the opportunity to launch dangerous counter-attacks.

Youngster Braydon Pace headed Zebras in front from Andrew Telega’s cross in the 10th minute, while Pace set up Ben Crosswell for the second in the 17th minute.

Thorpe rifled home the third midway through the second half, while a penalty by Crosswell two minutes from the end made it 4-0.

Needing to win by six goals, the Zebras’ hopes seemed dashed as the match entered stoppage time, but goals by Crosswell two minutes in, and Pace four minutes in, produced the required miracle.

After a goalless opening half, Clarence took advantage of atrocious defending by University to win 3-0 through goals by Luke Cripps, Julian McMahon and Ben Parker.

Penalties by Michael Bulis, Chris Tsakiris, Dmitri Nester and Danijel Djekanovic gave Olympic their penalty-shoot-out win over South Hobart, who could only convert through Bart Beecroft and Jonathon Ladic, Olympic’s Nester saving spot-kicks by Hugh Ludford and Greg Downes.

South’s Shae Hickey and Ludford had hit the Olympic woodwork in normal time.

A 21st-minute goal by captain Josh Fielding gave Glenorchy Knights a 1-0 win over Kingborough Lions United.

[Detailed match reports of Zebras v Eagles, and Knights v Lions, to follow later.]


Anonymous said...

Did walsh not play Walter?

Anonymous said...


Yes, Walsh did play, but he had little impact. He missed a couple of good chances and did a lot of running, but his touch deserted him.

Anonymous said...

Thanks Walter

Anonymous said...

Only thing walsh did all game was grab the ball out of the goal.

Doesnt look right at the zebras with there passing play instead of kick and run of clarence.

The final shld be very interesting indeed tho...

Anonymous said...

great to see south hobart not in the final, they will struggle to score against the better teams this season