Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Metro move to within 8 points of Beachside with win over Nelson

Photos (Top to Bottom): Nelson starting XI; Metro starting XI; Nelson keeper Tom Clamp fails to hold Jeremy Morris's low cross; Metro's Danny Cowen smashes the ball into the net to make it 1-0; Metro's Nathan Grandin makes a save; Nelson captain Tom Roach flicks a disguised pass away and tricks Metro's Aaron Marney, Wayne Jackson and Matthew Gasparin; Metro defender Matthew Gasparin clears upfield; nelson Andrew Gaskell (left) battles with Metro's Jason Dawes; Nelson keeper Tom Clamp takes a cross ahead of Metro's Aaron Marney; Metro's Wayne Jackson gets the ball ahead of Nelson's Adam Mills; Nelson captain Tom Gordon outfoxes Metro's Wayne Jackson; Nelson's Will Stalker clears ahead of Metro's Aaron Marney (No. 16) and Jason Dawes [PlessPix]

Division One (North Warrane, Sunday, 15 August 2010)


Nelson Eastern Suburbs 0

Metro 2 (D Cowen 10, J Dawes 77 pen)

HT: 0-1 Att: 30 Ref: N Clements

Nelson Eastern Suburbs: Clamp - Stockdale, Rush, Stalker, Gaskell - A Mills, R Mills, Flynn, Lenck (Hanley 63) - Fone, Gordon [Substitutes not used: Burden, Caulfield, Ireland]

Metro: Grandin - Gasparin, Thurley, Hawkins, Wiggins - Brown, Jackson, Marney, Morris - Dawes, Cowen [Substitutes not used: Delaney, Richardson, Porter, Van Den Heuvel]


Metro gained ground on Division One leaders Beachside with this 2-0 away win over fourth-ranked Nelson Eastern Suburbs.

Beachside had been held to a 1-1 draw by third-ranked University on Saturday and their lead over second-placed Metro was cut to 8 points.

Nelson seemed off their game in this encounter and they were largely reduced to long-range shots that missed the target.

Metro keeper Nathan Grandin had one genuine save to make and that came late in the match. In the 84th minute, and with Metro down to ten men after Daniel Brown had been sent off in the 61st minute after planting his studs in the face of Patrick Lenck as they both lay on the ground, substitute Bill Hanley drove a powerful shot towards the top corner at the near post, but Grandin produced a brilliant save, deflecting the ball wide for a corner.

Hanley had replaced the unfortunate Lenck, who left the field with blood streaming from his face.

It wasn’t the only spiteful incident in the match. Nelson’s Tom Gordon was cautioned by referee Nigel Clements, even after being awarded a free-kick, after an incident involving Aaron Marney in the first half.

Metro took the lead in the 10th minute following a terrible error by Nelson keeper Tom Clamp, who got down to a cross from the right by Jeremy Morris but failed to hold the ball. Danny Cowen nipped in and netted an easy goal.

Cowen was unlucky on the half-hour when his tremendous shot hit the underside of the bar and rebounded into play. Metro’s half-hearted appeals that the ball had crossed the line were turned down by Mr Clements.

Even playing with ten men, Metro were still dangerous and in the 67th minute Morris fed Jason Dawes but he fired wide when facing a one-on-one with keeper Clamp.

In the 72nd minute, Clamp produced an outstanding save from Marney’s shot to atone for his first-half error.

Five minutes later, Dawes was fouled by Cameron Rush and took the resulting spot-kick himself to make it 2-0 for the visitors.

The referee deserved a medal afterwards. He had refereed the reserve curtain-raiser and had sustained an injury, but when the referee appointed for the senior game did not show, Mr Clements decided to officiate, with the assistance to two club linesmen.

He was only able to hobble around for most of the game, but he refereed very well in the circumstances. The New Zealander has an air of authority and he obviously knows the laws of the game well.

If it had not been for the referee, this game would not have gone ahead.

That is something for FFT and those responsible for referee appointments to ponder.


· Nelson Eastern Suburbs coach, Michael Roach, said:

“I thought Metro were very physical and aggressive today. I think a lot was let go early in the game.

“I don’t think we played very well and I don’t think we got the ball to feet enough and retained possession.

“I think when they were reduced to ten men, it didn’t improve and they were well worth their win today.”

· Metro coach, Matthew Rhodes, said:

“It was a good win today.

“Whenever you’re down to ten men and keep a clean sheet and fight it out, it’s good.

“We had a good first 20 minutes in the first half, but dropped a bit from there.

“In the second half, the boys fought really hard and it was a good win. They were very happy.”

No comments: