Sunday, August 22, 2010

TIS easily down the Lions

Photos (Top to Bottom): Kingborough Lions United's starting XI against the TIS; Kingborough's Iwao Shimizu gets a pass away in midfield; Kingborough's Peter While passes back to Travers Wailes (No. 7); The TIS's second goal; TIS midfielder Declan Foley takes on Kingborough's Iwao Shimizu; Kingborough's Iwao Shimizu starts a Kingborough attack; Jamie De Smit hammers home the TIS's third goal [PlessPix]

Premier Reserve League (KGV Park, Saturday, 21 August 2010)


Tasmanian Institute of Sport 4 (J De Smit 19, 44, D Foley 25, J Walker 80)

Kingborough Lions United 1 (T Wailes 71)

HT: 3-0 Att: 100 Ref: P Galloway

Tasmanian Institute of Sport: Prendergast - McClung, Hill, Abbott, Mearns - De Smit (Devine 76), Ince, D Foley - Walker, H Foley, Hamilton

Kingborough Lions United: Leamey - T Wailes, Polmear, Lucas (L Brown 46), Laning Davis 62) - G Wailes, Shimizu (Watkins 62), While, R Hinkley, J Brown - Hughes


Tasmanian Institute of Sport goalkeeper Tristan Prendergast did not have a thing to do in the first half of this match as Kingborough Lions United struggled to launch a meaningful attack.

TIS dominated possession and switched play constantly, which stretched the Lions’ defence and had all their opponents on the back foot.

Kingborough were forced to play the ball backwards and their players were instantly under pressure whenever they did receive a pass.

It could have been more than 3-0 at half-time as Jamie De Smit and Hugh Foley also had shots that hit both posts in quick succession.

De Smit put the TIS ahead in the 19th minute, while Declan Foley added the second 6 minutes later after crosses from the flanks put the Lions defence in all sorts of trouble.

Sam Hamilton, who switched wings effectively, caused panic in the Lions rearguard with his pace and accurate crosses.

Kingborough’s failure to clear a corner gave the TIS their third goal in the 44th minute, De Smit smashing the ball home from the left of the box through a crowd of Lions defenders.

Kingborough pulled a goal back in the 71st minute when Gavin Wailes’s volley came back off the crossbar and his brother, Travers, headed home.

Jeremy Walker chipped Kingborough keeper David Leamey 10 minutes from the end to complete the win.

The teams meet again at KGV Park on Wednesday at 6.30pm and we will see if the Lions have learned from their experience.


· Kingborough Lions United coach, Warren Iles, said:

“They’re a hard team to play. They keep the ball very well and they move it quickly. They’re very fit and very talented.

“We shot ourselves in the foot a few times in the first half with a couple of defensive lapses and we paid for it.

“Conceding the third right before half-time put a dent in us.

“Our second half was a lot better.

“Liam Brown made a big difference when he came on, and certainly up front. He missed training during the week, which is why he was on the bench. He certainly made a big difference.

“So, now we’ve got to back up and play them again on Wednesday night, but it’s also good to give a couple of our under-19s a run, and we’ll give a couple more a run on Wednesday night, I think. They didn’t look out of place at all, which was good to see.”

No comments: