Sunday, August 1, 2010

Relegation and fourth spot are the remaining issues

Photos (Top to Bottom): Clarence's Sam McIntyre (left) climbs above Eagles' Mark Page and Michael Anderson; Eagles' Chris Wass (left) battles with Clarence's Luke Huigsloot; Clarence's Luke Cripps casts an eye over his shoulder as Eagles' Ethan Menzie moves in; Eagles' Mark Page clears ahead of Clarence's Luke Cripps; Eagles' Michael Anderson fights for possession with Clarence's Luke Cripps; Clarence's Luke Huigsloot and Eagles' Blayne Hudson try and head the ball in midfield [PlessPix]

South Hobart may have won the Forestry Tasmania Southern Premier League weeks ago, but there is still much to play for in the south of our island State.

Relegation has yet to be decided, and the fight for that important fourth spot is still on.

Taroona appear doomed, although they do have a game in hand over Olympia Warriors. That game is against champions South Hobart, at South Hobart, today.

Olympia were second-last going into the weekend and level on points with Taroona. They also had the advantage of a better goal-difference than Taroona.

A 3-2 away win over sixth-placed Kingborough Lions United on Saturday moved Olympia three points clear of Taroona and did wonders for their morale with just two matches remaining.

Goals by Brady Cronk and Chris Kumpulainen, and a penalty by Ben Phillips, did the trick for Olympia. Replies from Marcello Marchioli and Andrew Davies were not enough to save the Lions.

Fifth-placed New Town Eagles beat fourth-ranked Clarence United 3-0 at home at Clare Street on Saturday to move within three points of Clarence with two matches remaining.

A place in the top-four finals series is now within reach for Eagles, although their remaining games are against South Hobart and second-placed Tilford Zebras.

The first half at Clare Street was a dull affair, with long-range efforts by Eagles’ Adam McKeown being the only distinguishing features for the small crowd.

The second half sparked into life, however, when Clarence’s Sam McIntyre smacked a great shot from the right against the Eagles crossbar in the 49th minute of the match.

Eagles responded in the 54th minute when Andrew Clark’s long-range effort sailed just over the bar.

A minute later, Ben Whitehall landed a speculative lob on top of the Clarence crossbar and battle had clearly been joined.

Another minute and Eagles took the lead when diminutive midfielder Ethan Menzie left Clarence captain and central defender Ben Parker sprawled on the ground and cut in from the left before placing a perfect shot beyond keeper Cameron Sweeney and inside the far post.

Whitehall then came into his own on the right and Eagles scored two more goals within three minutes from his crosses to kill off the visitors’ challenge.

In the 81st minute, Whitehall floated a cross from the right to the far side of the box, where substitute David Cox nodded the ball back across goal for McKeown to volley home.

Two minute later, another perfect Whitehall cross from the right was headed home by Cox to complete the victory.

Tilford Zebras should finish second after beating third-placed Glenorchy Knights 1-0 at KGV Park on Saturday night. The sides had been level on points before the game and only a better goal-difference had put Zebras ahead.

It was an uninspiring match and the Knights were handicapped by the absence of key players Josh Fielding and Corey Smith.

After a goalless opening half, Zebras won the match in the 71st minute when former Knights player Jonathon Ladic scored.

Knights goalkeeper Ben Peter had saved his side with excellent saves up until then from Henry Fagg and Jayden Welsh, but it was his wayward punch that presented Ladic with the goal.

Paul Cairns had released Dwayne Walsh on the left and Peter punched his cross straight to the feet of Ladic, who hammered the ball straight back and in off the right-hand post.

In the Northern Premier League, Northern Rangers are just a win away from retaining their title after they downed second-last Launceston City 5-4 away on Saturday night. Devonport City lost ground after suffering a 3-1 defeat at home against Burnie United.

Somerset came back from 3-0 down to beat bottom-side Launceston United 4-3, while Ulverstone succumbed at home 2-0 to Riverside Olympic.


Nikos Paok said...

Would love to see Olympia relegated.

Anonymous said...

I seriously doubt whether you will live that long.

Anonymous said...

Sorry but after yesterdays result it's in their hands to lose!!
Sorry to burst your (wishful) bubble.
Won't happen.

Anonymous said...

After todays result for Taroona it makes it a bit harder for them with only two matches remaining. Unless you are associated with the Knights and you know something about the final game that we all don't......

Anonymous said...

What a win by eagles!!!!

Anonymous said...

to scared to publish comments walter or just trying to suck to browny grow up and let him get over it .it is my opiniom of brownys not yours is amazing some of the comments that you let through buy when andrew brown cops a serve you wont publish it are you trying to keep him in a job.cheers be fair

Walter said...

Anonymous 6.48pm, you are way off the mark, Mate! When you are prepared to put your name to comments and not hide behind the 'anonymous'tag, I'll publish it.

Anonymous said...

Hopefully by the time Taroona plays Knights it will be all over red rover.

curious said...

No match report for the Zebras/Knights game?

Anonymous said...

Relegation will be decided next week.

Anonymous said...

from what ive heard about the zebras vs knights match.....there wont be much to write about.

Anonymous said...

Zebras Knights was crap.