Saturday, August 22, 2009

Clarence win two out of three trophies on offer

Photos (Top to Bottom): Clarence of the Milan Lakoseljac Memorial Trophy; Northern Rangers squad...losing finalists; Hobart of State-wide Cup; Clarence United...losing finalists; Clarence of the Under-19 Cup; Tilford Zebras watch the trophy presentation

Clarence United won the Milan Lakoseljac Memorial Trophy by beating Northern Rangers 2-0 in today’s final before a large and vocal crowd at KGV Park.

The match was played amidst a marvellous atmosphere created by the rival sets of fans.

Clarence also won the under-19 cup final with a 1-0 victory over Tilford Zebras to make it two out of three trophies on the day for the Eastern Shore club.

In the Women’s State-wide Cup final, Hobart Olympic came back from a goal down to beat Clarence United 4-1.

Clarence got off to the perfect start against Rangers when a Sam McIntyre free-kick after just two minutes gave them the lead.

The ball took a deflection on the way and beat Rangers goalkeeper Marshall Pooley, despite his full-length dive which enabled him to get a hand to the ball but not keep it out.

Derek Schipper went on a great slalom run through the Clarence defence in the 7th minute, but just when it seemed he must score, he trod on the ball and the chance went begging.

Former Clarence player Paul Bremner was in excellent form for Rangers and demonstrated some great ball artistry in midfield, while Thataetsile Kakadumane also did well for the visitors.

Bremner, a striker, and Kakadumane, a midfielder, changed roles at times, while Mark Ambrose and Andrew Nicholson also switched flanks in vain endeavour to bring Rangers back into the game.

Clarence’s use of the wings caused the Rangers back-four many problems and the speed of Chris Hunt and Ben Hamlett, as well as the creative midfield play of Joseph Stevens, were a constant source of danger.

Luke Cripps, Luke Huigsloot, Hamlett, McIntyre and Ben Parker all went close to scoring for Clarence, while Rangers’ Sam Nugteren and Bremner forced fine saves late in the match from Clarence keeper Michael Moschogianis.

Pooley, who was agile and brave, had an excellent game for Rangers and saved several certain goals, while the Clarence back-four of Mattias Toghill, Matt Lewis, Parker and Julian McMahon were outstanding.

Clarence’s second goal came in the 66th minute with a marvellous move started by McIntyre on the right as he picked out Chris Hunt on the left with a long diagonal pass.

Hunt crossed for Hamlett to force a save from Pooley, who saved again within seconds from Cripps, but Huigsloot scored from the rebound to make the game safe and give Clarence their first trophy at this level.

A 79th-minute goal by Sam Reibel, from Brendan Garth’s cut-back, gave Clarence their victory over Tilford Zebras in the Under-19 cup final, but it took some expert goalkeeping by Clarence’s Trent Cornish to prevent Zebras from scoring.

In the women’s final, Clarence, who had two excellent midfielders in Kathryn McLeod and Jane Archer, took the lead against Olympic through Paris Crow, but a hat-trick by Bliss Cantrell and a goal by Sarah Morris gave Olympic the silverware.

In Division One, Taroona beat Beachside 4-0 through goals by Marcus Atkinson, Hugo Luttmer, Jack Elliott and Toby Dove.


Coxy said...

so how many people turned up for the day?

Anonymous said...

decent turnout. rangers strips looked pretty good! they missed hingston big time. well done to clarence, bout time they won something - lots of talent at the club.