Saturday, August 8, 2009

Knights demolish lethargic Olympic

Glenorchy Knights 5-2 Hobart Olympic


Hobart Olympic have beaten Glenorchy Knights twice in the league this season, but they were completely outclassed this time.

Knights raced to a 3-0 lead after a mere 12 minutes against a lethargic and poor Olympic team that seemed out of their depth.

A free-kick by Alex Holmes in the 5th minute found Josh Fielding unmarked on the left of the box and he beat the advancing goalkeeper Dmitri Nester from close range to put the Knights in front.

In the 8th minute, a clever flick by Amadu Koroma put Jade Clay in with a chance and he buried the ball in the back of the net to make it 2-0.

Olympic were reeling, but the Knights’ pressure was relentless and they had another chance disallowed because of off-side.

In the 12th minute, Fielding crossed from the byline on the right and the ball bounced once on the left of the box before Andrew Robb met it and sent in a looping header that nestled in the far top corner to make it 3-0.

Michael Bulis pulled a goal back for Olympic in the 21st minute after a neat one-two with Peter Tsakiris.

But, a minute later, Peter Tsakiris netted an own-goal as he tried to cut out Koroma’s shot from a difficult angle on the left of the penalty area.

Knights almost had a fifth in the 25th minute when Clay fired in a powerful free-kick that took a slight deflection, but Nester was able to save.

On the stroke of half-time, a left-wing cross from Carl Larzabal just eluded Bulis and the ball carried narrowly beyond the far post.

Three minutes after the resumption, Alex Tatnell did well to save a diving header by Bulis as Olympic started to settle and get their act together.

But, in the 70th minute, Mynonge Kamba dribbled past three Olympic players on the right and cut the ball back across goal for Koroma to stab home the Knights’ fifth.

Fielding went close in the 74th minute, his low drive flashing just wide of a post.

Bulis was still a problem for the Knights defence and he was denied a second goal in the 81st minute only by a goal-line clearance by Robb.

In the final minute, Olympic won a corner on a left and, when the ball came back out, it was switched to the middle where Hugh Richardson blasted home a superb volley from 25 metres to make the score-line a little more respectable.


· Glenorchy Knights coach, Eamonn Kelly, said:

“I thought the first half was brilliant.

“The second half, I wish we’d stayed at home.

“In the first half we played some good football and we kept the ball on the ground and knocked it around well and we got a couple of early goals, which was good.

“We made some positional changes and played Fielding up front.

“We miss Corey Smith, whether you love him or hate him, for that service he provides, and Fielding gave us that bit of spark tonight.

“We should have kicked on after half-time but didn’t and that was the disappointing thing.”

· Hobart Olympic coach, Farrell Shaw, said:

“You can’t give teams a three-goal start and try and catch up.

“In the first half, we were flat and lazy and they came out and played well.

“They kept the ball on the deck and their movement was far better than we could match at the time.

“In the second half, we got a bit more direct and positive in our play.

“We’ll take the second half every day, but, unfortunately, the first half let us down.”


Glenorchy Knights: Tatnell - Green (Lawler 85), Holmes, Grundy - Clay, Kamba, Dos Santos (Roberts 75), Hope, Robb - Fielding, Koroma (Sherman 79) (Substitute not used: Peter)

Booked: Kamba 84

Goals: Fielding 5, Clay 8, Robb 12, P Tsakiris 22 og, Koroma 70

Hobart Olympic: Nester - C Tsakiris, P Tsakiris, Percy, Lebski - Walker (Kunwar 57), Mason, Richardson, Larzabal - Bulis, A Hedge (Substitutes not used: E Tsakiris, Y Mohamad, Plomaritis)

Booked: Larzabal 84

Goals: Bulis 21, Richardson 90

Att: 143 (KGV Park)

Ref: I Jozeljic

No comments: