Saturday, August 29, 2009

Three southern clubs in top-four semi-finals

Photos (Top to Bottom): A midfield tussle between Riverside Olympic and South Hobart; South Hobart's Shae Hickey cleans up after team-mate Josh Heerey clashes with a Riverside opponent; South Hobart's Daniel Brown helps out team-mate Josh Heerey; Ricki Eaves's shot is goal-bound after a cross from Seth Otte (No. 11)

South Hobart, Glenorchy Knights and Tilford Zebras all eliminated northern opponents today to qualify for the semi-finals of the intrastate top-four series.

Clarence United’s match against Northern Rangers at Birch Avenue was postponed because of poor ground conditions and will be played next Saturday.

South Hobart beat Riverside Olympic 2-0 at KGV Park, while Tilford Zebras squandered chances galore before eliminating Prospect Knights 4-2 at KGV.

Glenorchy Knights downed Devonport City 4-3 in a match which was shifted from Valley Road to the Ulverstone Showground.

South Hobart had more chances than Riverside, but it was not until 18 minutes from the end that they opened the scoring when a cross from the left by substitute Seth Otte found Ricki Eaves on the edge of the box.

Eaves controlled the ball expertly and spun around to volley past goalkeeper Joseph Simmons and give South the lead.

With 12 minutes remaining, a pass by Eaves put Kostas Kanakaris through the Riverside defence and he slotted the ball past Simmons to make it 2-0.

Riverside had their chances, with Will Guy hitting the South Hobart crossbar in the 79th minute and South goalkeeper Mark Moncur making a fine save shortly after.

Eaves, Kanakaris, Bart Beecroft and Shae Hickey all missed good chances for South, while Riverside, who were well served at the back by Scott Hanson, also went close when Hanson ventured forward and had a header deflected to safety by Hugh Ludford.

A penalty by Nathan Balym in the 9th minute gave Prospect Knights the lead against Tilford Zebras, but a fine left-footed strike from the edge of the box by Brayden Pace a minute later made it 1-1.

Dwayne Walsh put Zebras ahead in the 57th minute, while a right-wing cross by Walsh in the 74th minute enabled Matt Hall to make it 3-1.

Sean Harris reduced the arrears for the visitors in the 78th minute when he was unmarked at the far post and rammed home Chris Pickering’s low cross to make for a tense finish.

Four minutes from the end, Jayden Welch set up Walsh for his second goal and the Zebras’ fourth.

A last-minute goal by Corey Smith saw Glenorchy Knights home against Devonport City, who led 2-1 at the interval.

Smith’s penalty was saved, but he was the first to the rebound and netted to put Knights into the semi-finals.

Jade Clay, Josh Fielding and Mynonge Kamba were the other Knights marksmen, while Sean Howe hit two goals - one from a free-kick and one from a penalty - and Kamil Douglas one for Devonport.

1 comment:

ginger said...

have you heard what the plan for the postponed 'finals' match is?

once again FFT rostering leaves a lot to be desired.
firstly they shifted the first week of the finals with the SWC with only a couple of weeks notice (leaving some clubs and players trying to hastily change plans to fit in with FFT).

now it seems certain the finals series will be put on hold. meaning all dates will be pushed back a week. lets hope not too many players/clubs have already made arrangements for the first free weekend post season! as this is now likely to be the GF!!!!

how such important dates can be changed with such little notice is beyond me. another sign of the professional nature of FFT.