Sunday, March 29, 2009

Disappointing South fail to use territorial advantage

Photo: South Hobart squad for the game aaginst Kingborough

Forestry Tasmania Premier League, South Hobart, Saturday, 28 March 2009

South Hobart 0
Kingborough Lions United 0

HT: 0-0 Att: 100 Ref: I Jozeljic

South Hobart (4-2-3-1): Kruijver - Pennicott, Ludford, Cooper, Scott - Hickey, Downes (Di Falco 93) - Eaves, Ladic, Abbott (Wardle 76) - Ross [Substitutes not used: David, McGoldrick] [Coach: K Morton]

Kingborough Lions United (4-4-2): Voss - Palmer, D Pearce, Iseli, Wells - Schuth (Bevan 67), White, Marchioli, R Hinkley (T Pearce 81) - Greg Freeman, McDonald [Substitutes not used: Kerr, Leamey] [Coach: Geoff Freeman]

South Hobart will rue the two lost points after this goalless draw with Kingborough Lions United.

South Hobart stayed on top of the ladder on goal-difference from Clarence United, who beat Tilford Zebras 3-1, while Kingborough dropped two places to fourth.

The home side had 24 chances, only eight of which were on target, while the visitors had just four goal attempts, three of which were on target and had to be saved by Sam Kruijver.

The fourth came after a good run by Tom McDonald, which ended with Kruijver bravely saving at his feet before the striker could shoot.

South were missing several key players. Gary Upton, the former Kingborough player, was at a wedding in Melbourne, captain Bart Beecroft and Josh Heerey were injured, while Matthew and Daniel Brown were unavailable and overseas and interstate, respectively.

In came 15-year-old Jim Pennicott at right-back and Julius Ross at striker, while David Abbott made his return from injury in midfield.

Jonathon Ladic had the first chance for South in the 6th minute when Abbott found him with a pass, but the midfielder swivelled and fell, his shot flying wide.

Five minutes later, South goalkeeper Sam Kruijver produced a superb save, getting down and clutching the ball as it threatened to elude him after McDonald had squeezed between Hugh Ludford and Pennicott.

In the 13th minute, Lions keeper Jason Voss did very well to turn Greg Downes’s shot to the far post wide for a corner.

Voss almost caused his side embarrassment in the 17th minute when he gave the ball away to Ladic, but the South midfielder blazed high over the bar.

Abbott missed a glorious chance on the half-hour when he got on to the end of a Ross cross from the right, only to head straight at a grateful Voss.

In the 38th minute, Voss managed to deal with an awkward shot from Abbott that threatened to bobble past him.

The first half ended with Kruijver turning an effort by Charles White wide for a corner.

Five minutes after the resumption came Kruijver’s save at McDonald’s feet.

In the 69th minute, Downes ran on to a pass from Ladic, after Ricky Eaves’s throw-in from the left, and advanced on goal. He beat three opponents on the way, but eventually lost control of the ball.

But, the ball rolled into Ross’s pass and he scared the life out of Voss as his curling shot just drifted wide of the far post.

In the 71st minute, a quick South counter-attack caught the Kingborough defence flat-footed and Abbott’s pass put Eaves free on the left and with only the goalkeeper to beat.

Voss was off his line in a flash, however, to narrow the angle and Marcello Marchioli saved the day by dispossessing Eaves, who hesitated and failed to get in a shot.

In the 90th minute, White’s shot was plucked out of the air by Kruijver, who dived to his left.

Downes was then injured in a tackle and required treatment for several minutes before being carried off on a stretcher.

At first, it was feared he might have broken his leg. Ambulance officers seemed to think he had not and advised him to have the injury X-rayed at a hospital on Sunday morning.


  • South Hobart coach, Ken Morton, said:

“Lots of possession, lots of territorial advantage.

“We didn’t take advantage of the wind in the first half and test Jason Voss enough, and the back-four.

“And obviously, second half again, even against the wind, we had a lot of possession, but then it became a bit scrappy and a lot of long stuff played instead of trying to go through them and around them.

“But, nil-nil. We went to win the game. They came and sat in and that’s the way football is.

“Good luck to them. They stayed organised, fought hard for each other and were good.”

  • Kingborough Lions United coach, Geoff Freeman, said:

“Defensively, we were excellent today.

“We restricted them to long shots and they didn’t really manage to get in behind us.

“We created some good opportunities. We didn’t create many, but we did create some good opportunities.

“I was really pleased with the performance.

“We can play better, especially going forward, than we did today, but defensively, it was probably our best performance so far.”


24 Goal Attempts 4
8 Shots on Target 3
6 Corners 3
7 Fouls Committed 6
2 Off-Sides 1
1 (Abbott 64) Yellow Cards 2 (White 85, Marchioli 88)
0 Red Cards 0

South Hobart:

Ladic 6 0
Downes 6 4
Abbott 3 1
Ross 3 0
Pennicott 1 1
Scott 1 0
Ludford 1 0
Eaves 3 2

Kingborough Lions United:

McDonald 1 1
White 2 1
Marchioli 1 1

No comments: