Saturday, March 14, 2009

Olympic and Clarence stalemate in the wet

Photos: (Top) Thunderstorm at South Hobart
(Bottom) It was 7 v 2 in some areas of the pitch

The referee, Mr Jozeljic, wisely delayed the start of this match by ten minutes because of a thunderstorm. Flashes of lightning were clearly visible in the area.

Most of the action was in midfield and the heavy rain and slippery conditions made things difficult for both sides.

The first real chance came midway through the first half, but Clarence striker Luke Cripps drove his shot just over the bar.

In the 31st minute, Ben Parker hit a free-kick just wide of the Olympic goal.

Ten minutes before the interval, Olympic had their first chance when Michael Bulis’s shot was blocked by Dmitri Nester and Carl Larzabal drove the rebound wide.

Olympic missed a glorious chance 10 minutes into the second period. Adam Hedge put Kostas Kanakaris away on the right and his low cross found Bulis, but his shot was straight at Michael Moschogianis.

In the 59th minute, Clarence were desperately unlucky not to score when Cripps made a run down the left and chipped the ball in to edge of the six-yard box for the on-rushing Ben Hamlett.

Nester blocked the first shot from Hamlett from point-blank range, but the ball then rebounded off Hamlett’s legs and hit Nester in the head before rebounding to safety.

It was a close call and neither player probably knew much about it.

Olympic introduced Danijel Djekanovic as a replacement for Akuel Guot with 20 minutes remaining and he missed a good chance five minutes from the end when she shot straight at the goalkeeper from the left. A deft chip would surely have resulted in a goal.

In the 78th minute, referee’s assistant Jeong-Soo Lee pulled a leg muscle and was replaced by Saad Mohamad, a qualified referee but an Olympic player, with the approval of the Clarence coaching staff.

Before the end of the match, Mr Jozeljic ordered Franco Previdi, the Clarence assistant coach, to leave the technical area.

Previdi thought it a stranger decision as he had been there for the entire match up until that time.

  • Hobart Olympic coach, Farrel Shaw, said:

“It’s a game that got away. I really believe that.

“I think the style of football we played out there in these conditions, I’m very, very happy.

“I think we kept the ball, we knocked the ball around beautifully at times.

“We created chances but unfortunately it wasn’t Michael’s [Bulis] day to stick the ball in the back of the net.

“I think they only had a couple of chances. Dmitri [Nester] created one of them there with a double save with a header.

“Overall, happy, but disappointed we can’t finish them off.”

  • Clarence United coach, Andrew Brown, said:

“As I said, it took a lot out of the players, the cup final.

“We gave them every opportunity to recover.

“We knew that Olympic were an incredibly good football team and, all things considered, to come away from home and play a very good football team, five days after an extra-time cup final, I’m very thrilled, very satisfied with a nil-nil result.

“Even though we rode our luck at times, I thought in the last fifteen minutes Olympic looked as if they were out on their feet and we could have pinched the game.

“But, that being said, we’ll take a point away from home against one of the title favourites.”

Hobart Olympic (1-3-4-2): Nester - P Tsakiris - Mohamad (Mason 64), Richardson, Lebski - Larzabal, C Tsakiris, Kanakaris, A Hedge - Bulis, Guot (Djekanovic 70) [Substitutes not used: Banks, Plomaritis]

Booked: Guot

Clarence United (4-4-2): Moschogianis - Toghill, Lewis, Ling, J Huigsloot - McMahon, Parker, Cannamela, Hunt - Hamlett, Cripps (Chapman 86) [Substitutes not used: Knapek, L Huigsloot, Cornish]

Ref: I Jozeljic

Att: 120

8 Goal Attempts 9
4 Shots on Target 2
5 Corners 2
8 Fouls Committed 11
7 Off-Sides 1
1 (Guot) Yellow Cards 0
0 Red Cards 0

Hobart Olympic:

Bulis 2 1
Larzabal 1 0
Kanakaris 1 0
A Hedge 2 1
Djekanovic 2 2

Clarence United:

Cripps 2 0
Hamlett 3 1
Parker 1 0
Hunt 1 1
Cannamela 2 0

1 comment:

Captain said...

yeah - well done to Ivan using some common sense in how he handled the weather situation. He had some difficulties with his asst breaking down too and had a decent game.