Sunday, June 21, 2009

Clarence reach semi-finals for second year in row

Photos (Top to Bottom): Clarence captain Ben Parker greets the match officials; University's Richard Delara takes on Clarence's Chris Hunt; Clarence's Chris Hunt and Matt Lewis tangle with University's Michael Andrews; University's Aaron Hindmarsh (No. 17) is tackled by Clarence's Chris Hunt; Clarence striker Luke Cripps tries to get in a shot in a crowded goalmouth

Clarence United progressed to the semi-finals of the Milan Lakoseljac Memorial Trophy state-wide competition for the second year in a row with this 2-0 win over University at Wentworth Park.

They join Tilford Zebras, Northern Rangers and Somerset in the semi-final draw.

University had the better of the first half but did not seem to know what off-side meant.

They missed a couple of easy chances and Nigel Blundell also struck a fine shot against the Clarence crossbar.

University suffered a blow early on when Ben Hewson suffered a bad cut to the head and had to be replaced. He went to hospital for treatment.

And, they had Rory McCallum and Andrew King booked yet again. At this rate, they’ll both be suspended before much longer.

Clarence gained the ascendancy in the second half and Ben Hamlett, returning after many weeks out through injury, put them ahead on the hour, converting a low cross from the right by Luke Cripps.

University keeper Hamish Peacock got his hands to the ball but could not keep it out.

Substitute Ben Phillips made the game safe with a strike two minutes from the end, following David Hoppitt’s low cross from the right.


  • Clarence United coach, Andrew Brown, said:

“After last week, it was a very big effort by the players.

“We actually found a training ground on Thursday to train and I think you saw an improvement today.

“We know we’re a long way off where we want to be, but as the game unfolded - I thought we rode our luck a little but early when they hit the woodwork and had another couple of decent chances - but as we got into the game, the players seemed to be recovering some of their confidence in their own ability.

“The first goal was a little bit fortuitous, but all the same, it was a good strike by Hamlett. We’ve missed that, someone who can just pop up in the box and out it in the net.

“But, the second goal was really good. I was very happy.

“To turn the corner? We’ll see. Next week is a long way away.”

  • University coach, Scott Gallacher, said:

“A game of two halves.

“We sort of fell away and couldn’t match it fitness wise.

“But, I thought the first half we played really well. We could have sneaked a goal there and might have been able to hold on.

“I think they’re a good side, Clarence.

“I’m a bit disappointed today. Normally, I’m not that competitive with the cup, but I was hoping to get through today.

“I think the boys can hold their heads up high because we gave it to them in the first half.”

Clarence United: Moschogianis - Toghill, S McIntyre, Lewis, J Huigsloot (Hoppitt 70) - McMahon, Cannamela, Parker, Hunt - Cripps, Hamlett (Phillips 83) (Substitutes not used: Barron, Grainger)

Booked: Parker 75

Goals: Hamlett 60, Phillips 88

University: Peacock - Hewson (Besley 25), Andrews, Fletcher, Griffiths - King, Merry, Delara (Burgess 74), Blundell - Hindmarsh (Narulla 83), McCallum (Substitute not used: Cropp)

Booked: McCallum 5, King 26

Att: 80

Ref: I Jozeljic

No comments: