Saturday, June 20, 2009

Two southern and two northern sides through to cup semi-finals

Photos (Top to Bottom): Northern Rangers' Mark Ambrose has a shot at goal (Photo by Saedah Saad); Northern Rangers' under-18 player Stephan Jago (Photo by Saedah Saad); Northern Rangers' 18-year-old goalkeeper, James Wilson, who was standing in for Marshall Pooley (Photo by Saedah Saad); University's Jon Merry (left) clears ahead of Clarence's Ben Hamlett and Chris Hunt; University's Richard Delara (left) pursued by Chris Hunt; Clarence's Luke Cripps (left) battles with University's Ben Hewson; Clarence's Luke Cripps (right) tussles with University's Iain Fletcher (Southern photos by walter Pless)

Two southern and two northern teams will contest the semi-finals of the Milan Lakoseljac Memorial Trophy state-wide competition.

In today’s quarterfinals, Tilford Zebras beat Riverside Olympic 4-3 in Launceston, while Clarence United downed University 2-0 at home at Wentworth Park.

And, Somerset overcame Glenorchy Knights 3-2 at home at Cardigan Street, while Northern Rangers triumphed 2-1 over Prospect Knights at home at the NTCA Ground.

A hat-trick by Ben Crosswell and a goal by Jayden Welch saw the Zebras home over Riverside, which replied through Will Guy, Aaron Campbell and a Ben Taylor penalty.

Zebras were without Andrew Telega, Aaron Brazendale and Brett Pullen.

University had the better of the opening half against Clarence but the closest they came to scoring was when Nigel Blundell hit the crossbar on the half-hour.

University also had Rory McCallum and Andrew King booked in the first half.

Clarence gradually got on top in the second half and Ben Hamlett, making his return after many weeks out through injury, put them ahead on the hour from Luke Cripps’s low cross from the right.

University goalkeeper Hamish Peacock got his hands to the ball but could not keep it out.

Two minutes from the end, substitute Ben Phillips made the game safe when he hammered home David Hoppitt’s low cross from the right.

A Bobby Eaves hat-trick powered Somerset to their win over the visiting Glenorchy Knights.

James Hope and Brodie Green netted for Knights, who lost Brazilian midfielder Breno Bianchini Joviano Dos Santos and Lindsay Millington through injury in the first half.

A penalty by Mark Ambrose gave Rangers a 1-0 lead at half-time against Prospect Knights, while Ambrose struck again on the hour to make it 2-0.

Sean Harris pulled a goal back from the penalty spot for Prospect in the 69th minute, but Rangers held on to win and earn a semi-final berth.

League-leaders Metro stayed 4 points ahead of second-placed Taroona when both won their Division One matches today.

Metro overcame second-last Christian United 7-2 at home at North Chigwell, with Jason Dawes netting a hat-trick and two of the club’s Scottish imports, Colin Sweeney and Steve McClung, each grabbing a brace.

Matthew Sly and Wilson Lumago replied for Christian, who stay 2 points ahead of bottom-side Hobart United.

Hobart United can move off the bottom of the ladder by beating fifth-placed Northern Suburbs DOSA at home at Pontville on Sunday.

Taroona scraped home 1-0 against fourth-placed Nelson Eastern Suburbs through a goal by Lucas Wyatt, but Taroona dominated the match territorially.

In the Premier League Under-19s, University downed Clarence United 4-0, while in the Division One Reserves, Metro trounced Christian 9-1 and Taroona beat Nelson 6-1.

In the Division One Under-19s, Taroona easily overcame Nelson 7-0.


Greg Ludford said...

Congratulations on the win Somerset, bet it was a good game. Looks like Bobby Eaves is carrying on from his good form from last year. Look forward to your games if you draw any in the South.

The Phoenix said...

where are all the knights supporters ?? very quiet this week !!!

Clarence Young Gun :D said...

a credit to uni, they play well, i feel for them if they go for relegation.