Monday, June 22, 2009

South Hobart move to within 3 points of league leaders

Photos (Top to Bottom): Eagles' Alex Leszczynski (left) and South's Kostas Kanakaris chase the ball; The loneliness of the goalkeeper...Eagles' Michael Soszynski was unwell; Soszynski beaten for the third time; Eagles' Nick Ferrall (right) beats South's Jonathon Ladic in the air; South's Ricki Eaves faces Eagles' Jacob Malakoff and Andrew Clark; Malakoff (left) and Eaves vie for the ball; Leszczynski plays a pass in midfield; Ladic on the attack while Ferrall tries to impede Kanakaris; Mr Barker awards a goal; Daniel Brown about to score South's first; Mr Barker cautions Brown while Adam McKeown writhes on the ground

New Town Eagles recovered well to equalise just before the break, but they fell apart badly midway through the second half and conceded two goals in three minutes, which broke their resistance.

Goalkeeper Michael Soszynski was unwell because of a lung infection and should probably not have played.

But, Eagles’ defending was also at fault in the goals and South Hobart used the width of the pitch to good effect.

South Hobart coach Ken Morton was absent in Melbourne, but the team played its usual style and assistant coach Jed Donoghue did not have any major decisions to make.

They missed Gary Upton, but coped without him.

South Hobart took the lead in the 22nd minute when Jonathon Ladic’s corner from the left was flicked on by Kostas Kanakaris and tapped home by Daniel Brown.

Brown had an eventful first half. He was also booked for a bad tackle on Adam McKeown.

Eagles’ equaliser in the 38th minute came from an excellent build-up down the left.

Shane Kent released Cormac Collins wide on the left and he cut inside and shot against the crossbar. The ball rebounded to Adam Shackcloth, who was making a rare senior appearance, and he slotted it beyond goalkeeper Mark Moncur and inside the far post.

Josh Heerey restored South’s lead in the 63rd minute after the visitors had torn open the Eagles defence in style.

A minute later, a low cross from the left by Liam Scott found Kanakaris free and his sloppy shot struck the base of a post. Before Eagles could react and clear, Kanakaris threw himself at the ball and forced it over the line to make it 3-1.

Soszynski complained that the striker had thrown himself into the fray with studs showing, but the goal stood.

A minute from the end, Kanakaris played substitute Julius Ross through on the left and he deftly lifted the ball over Soszynski and into the net to complete the scoring.

South Hobart are now a point adrift of second-placed Glenorchy Knights and three behind leaders Tilford Zebras, whom they meet shortly.


  • New Town Eagles coach, George Krambousanos, said:

“I thought we gave them a good run for their money.

“First half, we had a few things up our sleeve and the plan was going well.

“We stopped their attacks down the flank.

“Very proud of the boys in the first half.

“Second half, they exploited that flank again and did very well. We just lost our momentum for three minutes and they scored two goals and that opened the game up for them.

“But, I’m happy with my lads. Very happy.”

  • South Hobart assistant coach, Jed Donoghue, said:

“I thought it was a good game.

“A bit of a battle in the first half. I mean, they showed a lot of spirit and theyw on some of those fifty-fifty balls, which are critical.

“We didn’t take our chances, but I think the boys showed that in the second half they just kept at it, were disciplined, kept at the task, got the ball out wide, closed them down and created a few more chances.

“So, it was a good performance in the second half.”


New Town Eagles: Soszynski - Page, Wass, Clark, Ferrall - Shackcloth, Leszczynski, Kent, Malakoff - McKeown, Collins

Booked: Leszczynski

Goals: Shackcloth 38

South Hobart: Moncur - Pennicott, Ludford, Cooper, Scott - Abbott, Ladic, Heerey, D Brown, Hickey - Kanakaris

Booked: Brown, Hickey

Goals: Brown 22, Heerey 63, Kanakaris 64, Ross 89

Att: 90

Ref: K Barker

No comments: