Monday, February 15, 2010

Eagles win lottery against Olympia and gain bonus point

Photos (Top to Bottom): Nathan Pitchford injures his shoulder as he fails to save Aaron Smith-Richardson's peanlty; Olympia attack the Eagles goal; Olympia's Matthew Hedge faces a lone battle against Eagles' Chris Wass (No. 2), Mark Page and Steve Louden; Eagles goalkeeper Nathan Pitchford awaits the outcome of the duel between team-mate Mark Page and Olympia's new signing from University, Rory McCallum; Dipendra Kunwar's penalty sneaks past Nathan Pitchford; Eagles' Adam McKeown fires his spot-kick over the bar; Olympia's Adam Powell, with blood streaming down his face, leaves the pitch [PlessPix]

Premier League Section Summer Cup (Group A, South Hobart, Sunday, 14 February 2010)


New Town Eagles 1 (A McKeown 6)

Olympia Warriors 1 (D Kunwar 13)

HT: 1-1 FT: 1-1 Penalty Shoot-out: 4-3 Att: 200 Ref: B Kopra

New Town Eagles: Pitchford - Page, Wass, Louden, Clark - Vernon, Anderson, Kent, Leszczynski - Fennell, McKeown [Interchange: J Clamp, Quan, Menzie, Hadfield] [Coach: George Krambousanos]

Olympia Warriors: Farrugia - Lebski, P Tsakiris, M Hedge, J Hey - Phillips, Richardson, Powell, McCallum - E Tsakiris, Kunwar [Interchange: Nester, Mason, Smith-Richards] [Coach: Chris Hey]


New Town Eagles collected the bonus point for winning the penalty shoot-out and this put them in second place in Group A.

Ben Phillips looks a good acquisition for Olympia and he tested Eagles’ goalkeeper Nathan Pitchford as early as the 6th minute, forcing the custodian to produce a brilliant save to his right.

Pitchford missed all of last season with a knee injury, but he looks in form already.

Whether the shoulder injury he sustained in this match during the penalty shoot-out will hinder his progress remains to be seen.

Eagles were lucky to survive early on when Mark Page had to clear off the line as Olympia pressed.

Eagles took the lead a little against the run of play in the 9th minute when the Olympia defence went to sleep.

Jamie Vernon’s accurate cross from the right found Adam McKeown unmarked on the edge of the box and in the D and he had time to draw keeper Justin Farrugia before slipping the ball past him and into the net.

Farrugia then tipped a dangerous long-range effort over the bar as Eagles sought to increase their lead.

But, the 13th minute proved unlucky for Eagles as Dipendra Kunwar raced on to Phillips’s through-ball and fired past Pitchford for the equaliser.

In the 22nd minute, Shane Kent shot over the bar from range as both sides traded blows without being able to score.

The second half proved a stalemate, the only incident being when Olympia’s Adam Powell was involved in a clash of heads with an opponent and had to leave the field with blood streaming from a wound above his right eye.

He later went to hospital to have the wound stitched.

In the penalty shoot-out, Olympia goalkeeper Dimitri Nester, who had taken over from Farrugia for the second half, took his side’s first spot-kick but fired against Pitchford’s left-hand upright.

Andrew Clark scored to give Eagles the advantage, while Phillips’s second penalty for Olympia was saved by Pitchford.

Shane Kent netted to make it 2-0 for Eagles before Emmanuel Tsakiris was successful for Olympia.

Alex Leszczynski made it 3-1 for Eagles and Aaron Smith-Richardson then netted for Olympia to make it one goal the difference.

McKeown blazed Eagles’ fourth effort high over the bar and it was 3-3 as Kunwar scored for Olympia with their final penalty.

It was then left to Josh Hadfield to score and give Eagles a 4-3 win in the penalty shoot-out and a 5-4 triumph overall.


· New Town Eagles coach, George Krambousanos, said:

“I’m happy. We passed the ball around well.

“For a team that’s had only one hit-out, and that was against the champions, I think we’ve done very well.

“We could have scored more goals.

“Josh Hadfield has a good head on his shoulders and he took the winning penalty well.”

· Olympia Warriors coach, Chris Hey, said:

“We still failed up in the front third. We didn’t penetrate enough.

“We played long balls from the back, but we can’t continue and compete against a team that’s so tall.

“Instructions were to play it out from the back through the keeper and we failed to do that.

“I felt the easy turn-over of the ball with poor passing and without moving the ball quickly enough cost us also.”


jooda the dog said...

eagles seem to be making a move on their ex-striker, matt burn for a possible return to his old stomping ground. when fit his "cruff turn" could beat anyone, hopefuly it doesn't take too long for him to get fit. he would be a worthy target man upfront for the young eagle nest.

some quick stats- 2002 reserve player of the year
2002 reserve leading goalscorer
2009 runner up in knights div 2 goalscoring
2008 winner in soundscape playoffs

Anonymous said...

was taht blood from powells face, or sauce from a hotdog..