Saturday, July 25, 2009

South join Zebras at the top and spell curtains for University

University 0-2 South Hobart

This defeat virtually condemns University to relegation. They are now 7 points adrift of Clarence United and New Town Eagles and have just four games remaining.

The win lifted South Hobart level on points with Forestry Tasmania Southern Premier League leaders Tilford Zebras, but South have a game in hand.

South could have moved into first place if they had won by four clear goals, but they managed just two.

They seemed on course when they earned a penalty after just 6 minutes when Iain Fletcher fouled Kosta Kanakaris, but Hugh Ludford’s spot-kick was saved by Hamish Peacock.

University’s best chance came in the 27th minute when Alexis Bull was presented with a one-on-one with South keeper Mark Moncur, but he shot straight at the custodian.

University had obviously planned to thwart one of South’s major tactics, Liam Scott’s overlapping of Shae Hickey down the left, and it worked.

But, they forgot about another ploy. In the 38th minute, Kanakaris floated a corner from the left towards the near post, where Josh Heerey glanced it on towards the far post, and there was Gary Upton to head home.

Upton almost added a second three minutes after the resumption, but he shot centimetres wide of the far post after a left-wing cross.

In the 57th minute, Ricki Eaves went mighty close from Heerey’s right-wing cross.

University were again let off the hook in the 72nd minute as Upton blazed straight at Peacock.

Two minutes later, Bart Beecroft fired home from just outside the box after Johnathon Merry’s clearance following a cross from the left had been directed straight to his feet.

It was classy finish and showed what South had been missing for most of the season after Beecroft had been injured in the opening league match, ironically, against University.

South central-defender David Cooper ventured forward twice in the closing stages and was unlucky not to add to his side’s tally.

University clearly missed key player Nigel Blundell, and they brought on Taka Manaka just after the break. Manaka was one of their best defenders last season but has only recently returned to playing.


• University coach, Scott Gallacher, said:

“I was happy with our effort. I really was.

“They were obviously counter-attacking, but I thought we played some good football in patches.

“We gave the ball away too much, but in the circumstances, I thought it was okay.”

• South Hobart coach, Ken Morton, said:

“We didn’t play well tonight.

“We had lots and lots of possession, but too many bad decisions, too many balls played into wrong areas.

“But, we’ve got a win and that’s the most important thing at this stage.

“But, we didn’t play really well tonight.”

University: Peacock - Andrews (Manaka 50), Fletcher, Merry, Besley - King, Delara, Hindmarsh (Bones 74), Griffiths (Wilkinson 85) - Bull, McCallum (Substitute not used: Hewson)

South Hobart: Moncur - Upton, Ludford, Cooper, Scott - Eaves (Abbott 76), Heerey, Brown, Beecroft, Hickey (Ross 74) - Kanakaris (Substitutes not used: O’Brien, Pennicott)

Goals: Upton 38, Beecroft 72

Att: 80

Ref: S Collins

1 comment:

mad old man said...

have fun in div one uni haha