Saturday, July 11, 2009

Zebras retain 3-point lead at top of Premier League

Photos (Top to Bottom): South Hobart in the mid-1960s, and it's Croatia versus Juventus (your scribe is at far left), and from the shadows it can be seen that the area behind the goal where the canteen now is was crowded with people; Kingborough prepare to defend a South Hobart free-kick; The old stand at South Hobart has one person in it, while the new stand is less than a quarter full

Tilford Zebras maintained their 3-point lead over second-placed and reigning champions South Hobart after both won their Forestry Tasmania Southern Premier League matches today.

Zebras beat sixth-placed Clarence United 4-1 away at Wentworth Park, while South downed fifth-ranked Kingborough Lions United 2-0 at home at South Hobart.

Third-placed Glenorchy Knights scraped home 3-2 against bottom-side University at KGV Park on Friday night, while second-last New Town Eagles held fourth-ranked Hobart Olympic to a 1-1 draw at home at Clare Street this afternoon.

Kurt Engles put Zebras ahead against Clarence after only 50 seconds, while Clarence went close twice and then even missed a penalty when Cripps shot wide from the spot on the stroke of half-time.

Matt Hall put Zebras 2-0 ahead shortly after the break, but Cripps netted neatly on the hour to put the home side back into contention.

Goals by Hall and former Clarence player Dwayne Walsh sealed the Zebras’ win.

The Lions held South to a goalless opening half, but a cross-cum-shot by Gary Upton put South ahead early in the second half.

Substitute Julius Ross made it 2-0 from Liam Scott’s cross 15 minutes from the end.

A goal by Alex Gordon in the 38th minute gave Eagles a 1-0 lead at the break over Olympic, who drew level midway through the second half when Chris Wass fouled Chris Tsimiklis, who converted the penalty himself.

The precious point put Eagles 4 points clear of University and just 2 points adrift of both Clarence and Kingborough.

University led Knights 2-1 at half time through goals by Nigel Blundell and Rory McCallum, after Amadu Koroma had given Knights the lead in the 32nd minute.

An own-goal by Michael Andrews in the 61st minute made it 2-2, while substitute Mathew Nowicki hit the Knights’ winner 9 minutes from the end.

In Division One today, third-placed Beachside drew level on points with second-placed Taroona after downing fifth-ranked Northern Suburbs DOSA 4-1 away at the Showgrounds.

Sam MacDonald gave Beachside a 1-0 lead at the interval, but further goals by Bernhard Klasen, Craig Pitt and Colin Shepherd gave the visitors victory. Mark Wakefield netted DOSA’s consolation goal.

No comments: