Monday, November 22, 2010

Central Coast Mariners 2-3 Gold Coast United: Mariners lose after return to their home patch

Central Coast Mariners 2-3 Gold Coast United


Gold Coast United beat Central Coast Mariners 3-2 away at Bluetongue Stadium in Gosford yesterday.

The result left Gold Coast in third place and the Mariners in fourth spot on the A-League ladder.

Errors by normally reliable defenders played a huge part in the result of this match at a refurbished Bluetongue in what was the Mariners’ first home match in seven games. The surface left something to be desired, but it was the same for both sides.

Gold Coast were without start forward Joel Porter, who withdrew with a hamstring strain after the warm-up.

Jason Culina, back from international duty in Egypt, had the first chance of the game after two minutes, but his powerful shot was directed straight at keeper Matthew Ryan.

In the 6th minute, the Mariners’ Daniel McBreen headed narrowly wide at the other end.

Seven minutes later, Matt Simon missed an absolute sitter from Alex Wilkinson’s cross from the right.

The Mariners’ Mustafa Amini caused a scare for the visitors in the 21st minute when Glenn Moss failed to hold his initial shot, but the keeper recovered and grabbed the ball.

Moss produced a good save from Michael McGlinchey on the half-hour, and again from Amini 6 minutes later.

Simon gave the home side the lead in the 41st minute. Oliver Bozanic released Josh Rose on the left and his cross was turned in by Simon for his fourth goal of the season.

On the stroke of half-time, Gold Coast were level. Culina’s corner from the right was headed at goal by Dino Djulbic and blocked by Chris Doig, who headed it straight back to Djulbic, who this time volleyed it into the roof of the net.

Gold Coast squandered a great chance to take the lead in the 50th minute when Tahj Minniecon beat the off-side trap and raced at goal. In a one-on-one with Ryan, Minniecon somehow shot wide.

Three minutes later, the Mariners’ McGlinchey forced a fine save from Moss.

The Mariners almost scored in the 66th minute, but Doig mis-kicked and Moss was able to snatch the ball in a mad scramble in the goalmouth.

In the 69th minute, Gold Coast hit the front when a left-wing cross by Adama Traore carried through to Steve Pantelidis on the right and he beat Ryan at his near post with a snap shot from close range.

The lead lasted just 2 minutes. Substitute Adam Kwasnik made it 2-2 when a high ball into the box was misjudged by Djulbic and Moss. The keeper got a hand to the ball but couldn’t catch it and Kwasnik gained possession and slotted the ball home.

Another two minutes and it was 3-2 for the Gold Coast. Mariners captain Wilkinson tried to control the ball with his chest but it bounced off him to Gold Coast substitute Andrew Barisic, who took it on and fired past Ryan.

Four minutes later, Ryan saved superbly from Barisic as the Gold Coast sought to increase their lead.

Neither side was able to add to their tally and Gold Coast collected the three points to keep them 2 points ahead of the Mariners, 4 behind second-placed Adelaide United and 7 adrift of leaders Brisbane Roar.


Central Coast Mariners: Ryan - Wilkinson, Doig, Zwaanswijk, Rose - McGlinchey, Griffiths, Amini (Kwasnik 55), Bozanic (Lewis 68) - Simon, McBreen (Hutchinson 68) (Sub not used: Henderson)

Booked: Lewis

Goals: Simon 41, Kwasnik 71

Gold Coast United: Moss - Fitzsimmons (Barisic 71), Djulbic, Rees, Anderson - Pantelidis, Culina (Curtis 90+2), Van Den Brink - Caravella, Minniecon (Robson 65), Traore (Sub not used: Higgins)

Booked: Djulbic, Pantelidis

Goals: Djulbic 45, Pantelidis 69, Barisic 73

Att: 9,732

Ref: M Gillett

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

melbourne knights visiting hobart in january is great news! playing norchy obviously and trying to get a game with south hobart organised as well, looking forward to it, hope some of their fans come down 2