Sunday, April 19, 2009

Clarence United throw away two points

Photos (Top to Bottom): The Lions' Charles White and Clarence's Jacob Huigsloot vie for a header; Clarence keeper Michael Moschogianis catches a corner; The loneliness of the keeper...Moschogianis has just conceded a goal; Clarence's Sam Cannamela fights for the ball with the Lions' marcello Marchioli; Clarence's Luke Crisp misses with a penalty; Clarence's Luke Cripps about to score and make it 3-3.

Clarence United stayed third and Kingborough Lions United moved up a place to fourth after they drew 3-3 in their Forestry Tasmania Southern Premier League soccer match at Lightwood Park today.

A blunder by goalkeeper Jason Voss, following Damien Pearce’s back-pass in the 11th minute, gave Clarence the lead, but Marcello Marchioli equalised in the 27th minute after excellent work down the right by Ryan Bevan and a clever dummy inside the box by Tom McDonald.

Brett Andrews put Kingborough ahead in the 45th minute after Marc Iseli had nodded down Marchioli’s free-kick.

Charles White blasted home the third from Bevan’s cross deep into stoppage time to give the home side a 3-1 lead at the break.

Luke Cripps struck twice for Clarence in the second half to make it 3-3, but Cripps spurned the opportunity to complete his hat-trick and earn a win for the visitors when he missed a penalty four minutes from the end.

Cripps made it 3-2 in the 58th minute when Chris Hunt’s corner was cleared by White, but only as far as Parker. He hit the ball towards the far post, where Toby Ling knocked it across goal for Cripps to force home.

Seven minutes from the end, Clarence again made good use of corners. The Kingborough defence partially cleared a corner from the left, but when Julian McMahon lobbed the ball back in from the right, the ball was deflected to Crisp, who side-footed it home and make it 3-3.

Pearce then brought down Clarence substitute Andrew Barron for the penalty, but Crisp, who has only scored one hat-trick in his senior career, placed his spot-kick high and wide of the target.

In Division One, Taroona scored a convincing 6-0 away win over Nelson Eastern Suburbs at North Warrane, Hugo Luttmer hitting a hat-trick and Marcus Atkinson, Duncan Carey and Jack Elliot scoring a goal apiece.

The win kept Taroona in first place on goal-difference over second-placed Metro.

Traoona’s goal-difference is plus 23, while Metro’s is plus 22. Both sides have 10 points.

In the Premier League Reserves, Clarence beat Kingborough 5-2, while in the Division One Reserves, Taroona downed Nelson 3-2.

In the Premier League Under-19s, Clarence easily beat Kingborough 8-1, while in the Division One Under-19s, Taroona scraped home 3-2 against Nelson.

No comments: