Saturday, April 18, 2009

Hobart Olympic no Easter bunnies against Glenorchy Knights

Forestry Tasmania Southern Premier League, KGV Park, Friday, 17 April 2009

Glenorchy Knights 1 (Hope 42)
Hobart Olympic 2 (Larzabal 7, Kunwar 81)

HT: 1-1 Att: 120 Ref: K Barker

Glenorchy Knights: Peter - Wiggins, Grundy, Holmes, Marsh - Clay, Vavoulas (Hope 36), Djelalija (Sherman 73), Fielding - Koroma (Kamba 84), Roberts [Substitute not used: Tatnell] [Coach: E Kelly]

Hobart Olympic: Nester - Y Mohamad (Tsimiklis 59), P Tsakiris, Kaproulias - C Tsakiris, Mason, A Hedge (Bulis 70), Larzabal, Lebski - M Hedge (Kunwar 67), Djekanovic [Substitute not used: Plomaritis] [Coach: F Shaw]

Hobart Olympic moved up a place to sixth on the Forestry Tasmania Southern Premier League ladder as a result of this 2-1 win over fourth-placed Glenorchy Knights.

Corey Smith watched the game from the stand, while Alex Holmes, formerly with Taroona and South Hobart, took his place at the back for the Knights.

Olympic were first into attack and Chris Tsakiris’s excellent volley after just 4 minutes tested the reflexes of Ben Peter.

In the 7th minute, Danijel Djekanovic’s cross from the left was headed out by Anthony Grundy, but only to Chris Tsakiris, who again worked Peter, the goalkeeper this time tipping the shot over the bar for what was to prove a decisive corner.

Chris Tsakiris floated the corner in from the right and Adam Hedge flicked it on for the unmarked Carl Larzabal to prod home from 8 metres and give Olympic the lead.

Within seconds of the re-start, Amadu Koroma curled a nice shot in from the right, forcing Olympic’s keeper, Dmitri Nester, to dive to his right and turn the ball just around the far left-hand post.

Olympic did not deal very well with the corner and Koroma gained possession on the right, from where he lobbed in a high ball which Nester just collected from under the crossbar.

In the 11th minute, Olympic forced two corners in quick succession, Peter again having to be alert and at his best.

Two minutes later, Jade Clay fired in a long-range effort from the right, but it was straight at Nester.

In the 14th minute, Djekanovic beat Holmes on the left and cut the ball inside to Adam Hedge, who drove his shot wide.

Robert Lebski was unlucky for Olympic in the 17th minute when he beat Clay on the left and cut inside, only to see his shot come back off the near post.

On the half-hour mark, Knights were awarded an indirect free-kick on the corner of the six-yard box on the left after Nester handled a back-pass. Fielding drove the free-kick high and wide, with the goal beckoning.

James Hope replaced Nektar Vavoulas 9 minutes before the interval as coach Eammon Kelly made a tactical switch to add firepower up front.

It worked almost immediately as Hope equalised in the 42nd minute.

Fielding put Koroma away down the inside-right channel, Peter Tsakiris being unable to cut out the pass.

Koroma outwitted Youssef Mohamad and, with the on-rushing Nester stranded, Koroma cleverly squared the ball to Hope, who netted despite Paul Kaproulias getting back into the goalmouth.

Olympic squandered a great opportunity to regain the lead in the 54th minute when Djekanovic headed Larzabal’s cross from the right tamely over the bar.

Knights responded with a chance of their own in the 57th minute, Koroma flicking on Clay’s corner for Holmes to head over the bar.

Knights came close to scoring on the hour when Clay’s right-wing cross was chested down by Will Roberts, the ball falling to Koroma, whose over-head kick cleared the bar.

Knights were looking very dangerous at this stage and, in the 66th minute, Jackson Marsh’s diagonal ball from left to right found Hope inside the box. He beat substitute Chris Tsimiklis, made an angle for a shot, but fired into the side-netting.

Olympic then made two substitutions. In the 67th minute, the injured Matthew Hedge was replaced by Dipendra Kunwar, while in the 70th minute, Michael Bulis came on for Asdam Hedge.

In between these substitutions, the Knights almost scored, but Clay’s right-wing cross struck the far post and rebounded into play.

In the 71st minute, Fielding lost possession in midfield and Larzabal’s excellent pass put Bulis away, but a timely intervention by Clay saved the day for the Knights.

The two substitutes were certainly having an impact and, in the 74th minute, Peter did well to deny Kunwar from close range.

But, 9 minutes from the end, the two substitutes combined to score an excellent winner.

Lebski released Bulis down the left and, although Anthony Grundy got in a tackle inside the left-hand side of the box, the ball rebounded to Bulis, who chipped it into the centre for Kunwar to throw himself into the air and scissor-kick the ball inside the far post.

Kelly replaced Koroma with Kamba 6 minutes from the end, but Olympic held out comfortably for the win.

Lee Mason was excellent in midfield for Olympic, rarely wasting possession and driving his side forward with astute passes to team-mates over short and long distances.


  • Glenorchy Knights coach, Eamonn Kelly, said:

“I thought it was a good game of football.

“Unfortunately, we didn’t contribute to the second forty-five minutes.

“We let them in with the second goal.

“That was the difference between us. Two people were told to do a job when Bulis came on and when little Dippa came on.

“We let him in. We didn’t do our job. It’s as simples as that. It’s the end of the game.”

  • Hobart Olympic coach, Farrell Shaw, said:

“It was a pretty open game, with a lot of end-to-end stuff.

“The Knights finished the first half a lot better than we did. Unlucky on a couple of occasions not to score.

“I think I always had Michael Bulis and Dipendra Kunwar on the bench. Fortunately, Michael passed his fitness test, and Dipendra came in with a cold.

“We always had the pace, so we were always a threat.

“We threw them on and it just worked out in the end.

“The lads dug deep. We’re slowly improving and that’s all we can do from week to week now.”


19 Goal Attempts 11
9 Shots on Target 7
2 Corners 7
11 Fouls Committed 11
4 Off-Sides 2
0 Yellow Cards 1 (Larzabal 60)
0 Red Cards 0

Glenorchy Knights:

Clay 5 2
Koroma 2 1
Roberts 2 0
Fielding 3 1
Wiggins 1 1
Hope 4 3
Holmes 2 1

Hobart Olympic:

Lebski 2 2
C Tsakiris 1 1
Larzabal 1 1
Mason 1 0
A Hedge 1 0
Djekanovic 1 0
Kunwar 3 2
P Tsakiris 1 1


The Phoenix said...

So was Corey left out because of injury or as a result of his thuggish act last week ? I suppose we may never know.

Captain said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Andy Green said...

I'm surprised Dipper played last night. He trained with the Knights on Tuesday and told them he doesn't like the Olympic coach and doesn't want to play with them anymore. Strange how things change when he is told he has a starting spot in the Seniors (not that he did start anyway). I wonder if Kenny will be on the phone to him trying to poach him for South

pete said...

seriously i can not beleive all this crap about corey last week, look at all the other leauges in the world and it happens every game nearly so get over it and if he was dropped because of it i would say its a disgrace to the game

Dmitri Nester said...

Mr Kelly must be thinking it may have been worth changing the match now. Olympic improving each week.

Captain said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
heartbreak said...

I think Knights were unlucky, with chances that went begging but with all due respect to Olympic they were obviously the better team on the night, as for Dipper training with Knights, whats the go there?

Dippastar said...

Andy Green, i am not sure when i mention that i did not like the coach and did not want to play with olympic anymore. The reason i came to train was beacause i recieved a text from armadu saying that A Kelly wanted me to train. I was simply being polite, seeing as i have quite a friends at knights though it would be fun. i did metined that i was not happy with the amount of time i was given with seniors and that i would disscus my options with the club (this is what i told A kelly and he did not have a promblem with it, none that im aware of).But i did not have to discus my issues, because when i went to train the next day i was told that i was starting this week. But, it was my decision not to start because i had the cold and did not believe that i could last 90 minutes.
hope this clears all the rumors.

Captain said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Dippastar said...

haha, thanks boof. funny how i always miss the easy ones though. sigh. i hope it was worth it. Thanks Walter, really appreciate your support over the last few weeks. :)

Tracksuit Bandit said...

Larzabal destroyed Fielding when he moved into the centre... best tackle ive seen in a while that gave him the only yellow card of the game... top bloke!

J vernon said...

nice bike dippa, pitty you didnt land on your head like you did at nationals! :P haha