Monday, April 13, 2009

Summary of Easter Monday's matches

Photos (Top to Bottom): Action from the University versus Christian United match; Zebras' Ryan Smith (No. 5) in an aerial duel with South Hobart's Daniel Brown (No. 15); Zebras' Ryan Smith heads over the bar.

Hobart Zebras beat reigning champions and Forestry Tasmania Southern Premier League leaders South Hobart 2-0 at KGV Park today to move into third place on goal-difference and level on 10 points with South Hobart and Clarence United.

South Hobart missed several excellent chances in the opening minutes and then fell behind to a Dwayne Walsh goal in the 5th minute following Ben Crosswell’s pass after a quick counter-attack.

South Hobart had defender Hugh Ludford sent off a minute from the end for preventing a goal-scoring opportunity when he blocked Crosswell.

Substitute Josh Thorpe lobbed the Zebras’ second goal in stoppage time and was then sent off for using foul and abusive language.

In the Milan Lakoseljac Memorial Trophy State-wide competition, six southern and two northern sides made it through to the next round.

Riverside Olympic beat Kingborough Lions United 5-1 in Launceston, while Ulverstone downed Kingston Cannons 6-0 at Sherburd Park, Callum Foote, Brayden Mann and John Cornell each scoring a brace.

Riverside's scorers were Sam Hughes and Will Guy, with two goals each, and Colin Jackson.

Greg Freeman replied for Kingborough Lions United.

Beachside scraped home 4-3 away to Launceston United, the southerners’ goals coming from Colin Shepherd and a hat-trick by Bernhard Klasen.

Launceston United's marksmen were Chris Budgeon, with two goals, and Nick Bean.

Clarence United made short shrift of the visiting Launceston City 5-1 at Wentworth Park through two goals by Luke Cripps and one each by Chris Hunt, Sam Cannamela and Andrew Barron. Frost replied for City.

New Town Eagles overcame Burnie United 4-0 at Clare Street through goals by Jamie Vernon, Adam Shackcloth, Cormac Collins and an own-goal.

A first-half goal by Ngeeny Deng gave Hobart United a 1-0 win over Nelson Eastern Suburbs, while Metro beat Taroona 3-1 despite having goalkeeper Simon Land and midfielder Colin Sweeney sent off.

Toby Dove netted for Taroona, while Ricky Orr, Jason Dawes and Darrin Chaffey were on target for Metro.

University beat Christian United 7-3 through goals by Charles Cropp, James Wilkinson, Ben Hewson, Hugh Burgess, Julian Proud, James Wilkinson and Jon Merry. Matthew Sly hit a hat-trick for Christian.


Richard Bladel said...

Entertaining match the south v zebras, with the quality of zebras strikers, finishing and running with the ball being the difference. South had enough chances to win it. Kim Barker's sending off of Hugh Ludford, however, was a farce. Hugh was backing away to try to track the path of the ball and was entitled to challenge for it in the way he did. Kim usually does a pretty good job, but that was a bad mistake.

Captain said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Football devotee said...


was it a free kick?

if the forward had not have been fouled would he have had an obvious goal scoring opportunity?

if yes and yes - the referee has no choice but to send the defender off.

Of course both of those questions have to answered by the referee at the moment it happens and from where he has seen the incident.