Saturday, April 4, 2009

South Hobart and Clarence show the chasing pack a clean pair of heels

Photos: (Top to Bottom) Clarence bring on substitute Luke Huigsloot; Clarence's Toby Ling clears ahead of Knights' Jackson Marsh; Knights' Josh Fielding just gets a touch ahead of Clarence's Matt Lewis

South Hobart and Clarence United drew away from the chasing pack at the top of the Forestry Tasmania Southern Premier League ladder after both won their matches today.

South Hobart, reduced to ten men after Gary Upton was sent off in the 25th minute, beat a lethargic Hobart Olympic 3-0 at KGV Park, while Clarence United took advantage of some disastrous goalkeeping to down Glenorchy Knights 4-1 at Cambridge.

Kingborough Lions United moved into third spot, two points adrift of the leading pair, after trouncing bottom-side University 5-1 at Lightwood Park today.

Tilford Zebras are fourth following their 4-2 win over New Town Eagles at KGV Park on Friday night.

Julius Ross put South Hobart ahead against Olympic in stoppage time at the end of the first half, while Ricky Eaves made it 2-0 in the 56th minute.

Shae Hickey converted David Abbott’s left-wing cross in the 72nd minute to make it 3-0 against an Olympic side that had a one-man advantage but was devoid of ideas.

New Town Eagles scored first against Tilford Zebras through Andrew Clark in the 12th minute, but Ben Crosswell equalised a minute later and went on to score a fine hat-trick with goals in the 27th and 59th minutes, either side of an own-goal by Eagles’ Wade Savage.

Substitute Nick Ferrall scored a second for Eagles 13 minutes from the end, but Zebras ran out comfortable winners, despite Troy Kaden having to pull off a finger-tip save against Adam McKeown in the closing minutes.

Luke Cripps netted a hat-trick for Clarence against the Knights, his first coming from a header after 31 minutes and his second from a penalty, conceded by Knights goalkeeper, Ben Peter, six minutes later.

Peter certainly touched Chris Hunt, but the Clarence striker appeared to go down a little too readily.

Clarence’s tall central defender Toby Ling hit the third three minutes before the break after a corner, while Cripps made it 4-0 with his third 20 minutes from the end when Peter gifted him the ball with a wayward pass.

Corey Smith grabbed a consolation goal for the Knights with seven minutes remaining.

Damien Pearce, Ross Hinkley, Charles White, Marc Iseli and Tom McDonald were Kingborough’s marksmen against University, which replied through Alexis Bull.

Taroona and Metro continue to share top spot on the Division One ladder after they drew 4-4 at Kelvedon Park today.

Metro led 3-0 at the break, but the visitors then had Colin Sweeney sent off and Taroona fought back for the draw.

Aaron Marney netted two goals for Metro and Scottish imports Sweeney and Ricky Orr grabbed a goal apiece, while Taroona replied through two goals by Chris Cox and one each by Cian Carey and Marcus Atkinson, the latter with a penalty.

Beachside moved into third place with a 6-0 win over Hobart United at Sandown Park tonight.

Bernhard Klasen netted twice, while Ben Davis, Nathan Robinson, Sebastian Milford and Jason Szoka each scored once.

In the Premier Reserves, South Hobart beat Hobart Olympic 5-3 through two goals by Seth Otte and one each by Simon Burrett, Rowen Franklin and Jesse Gasparinatos, while Olympic replied with two goals by Emmanuel Tsakiris and one by Akuel Guot.

Clarence downed Glenorchy Knights 4-1, Andrew Barron hitting a hat-trick and Brendan Garth scoring a penalty, while Shane Kent netted the Knights’ consolation goal.

New Town Eagles overcame Hobart Zebras 3-1 through a Matt Fennell hat-trick, while Zebras replied through Kurt Engels.

University beat Kingborough Lions United 2-1.

No comments: