Saturday, April 18, 2009

South Hobart and Tilford Zebras open up a 3-point lead at the top

Photos (Top to Bottom): South's Hugo Bladel beats two opponents to a header; South's Ricky Eaves and Eagles' Alex Leszczynski battle it out in midfield; South's Shae Hickey (left) takes on Eagles' Adam McKeown; Eagles coach George Krambousanos (left) shakes hands with South coach Ken Morton.

South Hobart and Tilford Zebras have opened up a 3-point lead at the top of the Forestry Tasmania Southern Premier League ladder after both won comfortably today.

South Hobart beat second-last New Town Eagles 3-1 at South Hobart, while Tilford Zebras accounted for bottom-side University 2-0 at Olinda Grove.

Hobart Olympic moved up a place to sixth on the ladder after downing Glenorchy Knights 2-1 at KGV Park on Friday night.

South Hobart took the lead against Eagles in the 26th minute when Jonathon Ladic’s disguised shot from 20 metres left goalkeeper Michael Soszynski flat-footed.

Kostas Kanakaris, who signed for South from Olympic in mid-week, scored on his debut, netting in the 59th minute from Liam Scott’s low cross from the right.

Soszynski vented his anger at conceding the goal and was sent off by referee Dirk Gadd for using inappropriate language directed at an official.

South Hobart’s David Abbott hit the post in the 71st minute before Ricky Eaves added their third eight minutes later, beating substitute goalkeeper Craig Minty at the near post after a good build-up involving Hugo Bladel and Scott.

Eagles netted a consolation goal two minutes from the end through Adam McKeown, who beat keeper Sam Kruijver to a through-ball from Jacob Malakoff.

Carl Larzabal put Olympic ahead against the Knights in the 7th minute after Adam Hedge flicked on Chris Tsakiris’s corner.

Knights coach Eamonn Kelly then pulled an Easter bunny from a hat and brought on substitute James Hope, who equalised two minutes before the interval.

Olympic substitutes Michael Bulis and Dipendra Kunwar fashioned the winner in the 81st minute, Bulis providing the cross and Kunwar scoring with an audacious scissors-kick.

After a goalless opening half, Tilford Zebras downed University through goals by Fabian Lapolla in the 55th minute and Henry Fagg in the 70th.

Zebras were without Paul Cairns, Ryan Smith and keeper Troy Kaden, but were still too strong for the Students.

Metro thumped Christian United 13-0 in their Division One match at Sherburd Park today.

Scottish import Ricky Orr scored seven goals and Wade Hawkins four, while Wayne Jackson and Scottish import Grant Malcolm netted a goal apiece for Metro, who led 4-0 at the interval.

Northern Suburbs DOSA beat Hobart United 5-2 at the Showground after being 1-1 at half-time.

Scott Maccrum hit a hat-trick for DOSA, with Stephen Swift and John Visentin grabbing the other goals.

Gay Mu and Allessandro Bellini netted for United.

In the Premier League reserves, South Hobart downed New Town Eagles 5-1 and Zebras defeated University 4-0.

In the Under-19s, University were held to a 2-2 draw by Zebras, while South Hobart overcame New Town Eagles 5-0.


Captain said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Dippastar said...

I have seen both of the teams play and i do not think that Uni U19s are as good as Uni seniors. they are all very fit and play great as a team but they have not really been tested by anyone. the Uni 19s played tilford and drew 2-2. they only look good when they play ordinary teams.