Saturday, April 11, 2009

Glenorchy Knights move into third spot on Southern Premier League ladder

Photos (Top to Bottom): Michael Bulis (left) hit a hat-trick against University; Danijel Djekanovic (centre) scored against University; Kingborough's Marcello Marchioli walks after being dismissed; Marchioli concedes the penalty; Jason Voss dives the wrong way for Corey Smith's penalty; Knights' Jade Clay clears a Kingborough attack; Referee Sean Collins tosses the coin.

Glenorchy Knights moved into third place on the Forestry Tasmania Southern Premier League ladder with a 5-3 win over Kingborough Lions United at KGV Park today.

Corey Smith put the Knights ahead in less than a minute, but Kingborough then had Marcello Marchioli sent off for a deliberate handball, which also resulted in a penalty.

Smith sent keeper Jason Voss the wrong way with his spot-kick to make it 2-0 with only 16 minutes gone.

Knights skipper Josh Fielding curled home the third in the 34th minute from a free-kick, awarded for a foul on Smith.

Amadu Koroma added the fourth within a minute of the start of the second half when he cut in from the right and beat Voss at his near post.

Ryan Bevan pulled a goal back for the Lions in the 47th minute from Joel Schuth’s left-wing cross, but Jackson Marsh restored the Knights’ four-goal buffer when he poked home from close range after Koroma had got a touch to Jade Clay’s corner to the near post.

Greg Freeman scored a great individual goal for the Lions midway through the second half, while Bevan added a third for the visitors following good work on the left by Marc Iseli.

Freeman might have had another couple, but he squandered excellent openings from close range.

Smith was cautioned for a foul on Voss in the 68th minute, with Knights leading 5-2.

Smith was immediately substituted by Knights coach, Eamonn Kelly, amid heated exchanges on the side-line between Kelly and a Kingborough supporter.

An ambulance was called after the match to attend to Voss, who had a suspected back injury.

Clarence United threw away the chance to go to the top when it lost 2-1 away to sixth-placed New Town Eagles at Clare Street.

Alex Leszczynski put Eagles ahead, but Clarence equalised with a penalty just before the break after a foul on Chris Hunt.

Fifteen-year-old Andrew Barron scored from the spot-kick.

Jacob Malakoff netted Eagles’ winner in the second half after getting the final touch following a free-kick.

Hobart Olympic easily accounted for bottom-side University 5-1 away at Olinda Grove.

Michael Bulis hit a hat-trick for Olympic, whose other goals came from Matthew Hedge and Danijel Djekanovic. Aaron Hindmarsh replied for University.

Taroona and Metro continued on their winning ways in the Division One competition and they remain first and second, respectively, on the ladder.

Taroona thrashed Hobart United 11-1, Mark Gates, Toby Dove, Marcus Atkinson, Jack Elliot and Cian Carey all scoring twice, and Hamish Macgregor once.

Metro stayed second on goal-difference after downing Northern Suburbs DOSA 6-0 at North Chigwell.

Aaron Marney hit a hat-trick, while Jason Dawes, Ricky Orr and Wayne Jackson netted a goal apiece.

First-half goals by Sebastian Milford and Bernhard Klasen gave third-placed Beachside a 2-0 home win over Nelson Eastern Suburbs at Sandown Park.

In the Reserve League, New Town Eagles drew 3-3 with Clarence United, while Hobart Olympic overcame University 3-0 away at Olinda Grove.

Glenorchy Knights drew 1-1 with Kingborough Lions United, Peter Songa netting for the Knights and Marcus Bremner replying for the Lions.

In the Under-19s, Clarence beat Eagles 2-0, University trounced Hobart Olympic 7-0 and Glenorchy Knights squandered a 3-0 lead at the interval to draw 4-4 with Kingborough Lions United.

Lindsay Millington, with two goals, Jack Harrison and Oscar Fuentes netted for the Knights, while the Lions replied through two goals by Matthew Richardson and one each by Tim Brewer and Will Davis.

Southerners featured prominently in the Forestry Tasmania Northern Premier League between Somerset and Northern Rangers.

Derek Schipper put Rangers ahead, but Tom Roach equalised for Somerset before the break.

Paul Bremner grabbed Rangers’ winner in the second half.


Unknown said...

so what happened at KGV? Moment of madness for Marchioli?? Not good for him. Kelly back to his old ways I see, was the Kingo supporter anyone of note?

Good on the Eagles, took Clarence down a peg I hope!

Charlie White said...


Chell got sent off for deliberate hand ball, he jumped to try and head the ball but was going back and it then struck his hand, unfortunate and obviously hurt us. to our credit we played for 75 minutes with 10 men and won the second half 3-2, so not all bad, a few tired boys around now though...we defended very poorly, as bad as we have all year, so we will need to improve next week.

Kev said...

Check out Corey's foul on Jason here
I reckon it deserved more than a yellow!!

Unknown said...

Interesting watching that video - looks like a red card for sure. There's no way he should have got out of that. Some of the tags on the video aren't so good though...

Thanks Charlie, I know the type of foul, bit disappointing I reckon but it happens, good work to win the second half as you did.

harden up maggots said...

kev agreed with you voss clearly had the ball before cory launched himself at him

smithers ol man said...

After viewing - reviewing and reviewing video of game and trying to remain abjective to the foul on Voss and reading the following comments about it i feel moved to make my own opinions of what appears .
I agree with the comments on corey being a drawcard even if for the wrong reasons and wonder if Soccer Tas should have addressed its own issues about training there select juniors over the years with them being coached into win or be regarded as not the right material they require for there sides.
Corey is passionate about soccer and ill admit to his bad boy attitude being mostly self inflicted but on this occasion the fact no kingborough played reacted too over the top at time of the foul and the ref seeing fit to only issue a yellow was a just result for an obvious over keenness to contest the ball to the limit and not to deliberatly inflict injury .
How come no one complained about the head high elbow lifted against corey in an earlier tackle by player 7 were corey only recieved a free with no cards issued to the offender -- is he only the whippin boy for his mistakes and not worthy of protection when its his safety on the line. Or the tackles directed in earlier games at his knee when returning from major knee surgery dont these sort of make any normal person question why a player does it the hard way at times and feels he gives what he gets and expects to be protected on field not just made a subject of abuse when its his mistakes under the eye of one sided critics --- ease up give credit were due look at the gets not only the gives and u may all enjoy your soccer support a lot more

smithers ol man said...

On a brighter note i watched Newcastle Jets defeat beijing in the a-league comp 2-1 after being a goal down in first half to make it into the final 16 eliminations
Great fight back in front of a huge crowd to score winner in added time.
Hell if only tassie could drag in 10000 spectators the atmosphere was electric